Wild West themed terrain for Malifaux

Ropetus

Spent the last weekend at Ropecon 2013 (largest RPG convention in Finland) where I demoed Malifaux and played some other games too. Thought I would share with you some pictures of the terrain I built for demo games during the last year. The pictures were taken by a friend of mine.

Since my main crew is the Ortegas, going for a Wild West town as terrain felt natural. I built a bunch of buildings from foamboard and balsa wood and bought a gaming mat from Zuzzy. Most of the buildings have separate roofs and interiors as well, but most are WIP on that part.

Overview of the board during a small demo. Santiago is shooting down some Ice Gamin approaching from an alley.

post-3074-13911930377301_thumb.jpg

The board from farther away during the same demo game. I'm the guy with the hat.

post-3074-13911930377671_thumb.jpg

Guild law-enforcers in front of their office. Something shady is going on in the town...

post-3074-13911930378124_thumb.jpg

More and larger pictures can be found here: http://pic.dolmot.net/index.php?cat=3, the forum seems to hiccup with large pictures. They're in the Misc section along with pictures of some other nice boards in the convention. You should also check out the other folders: they have pictures of my friend's amazing Call of Cthulhu gaming table.

-Ropetus

EDIT: Also found out that someone took a photo of The staff of the Saloon

Edited by Ropetus

Thanks for the comments. I have spent roughly the last year to make the buildings, and I still got some unfinished ones (no hope they will all fit on the board at the same time).

The board is still a little WIP. As already stated most interiors are unfinished. Also I would like to add some barrels and piles of crates to the street, maybe even a stagecoach. I already ordered some resin kits for that. That should also make the board a bit more interesting gameplay wise: currently there is very few forms of cover besides the total blockage of LoS due to the buildings. Adding some extra bits here and there should help that while making the board more lively. Another plan is to make wooden platforms and walkways for the houses, to get some more western feel.

I must say at first glance I thought they were laser cut mdf kits I applaud your skills with scratch building.

Actually, more than one person at the 'Con asked where they can order the stuff. They were kinda disappointed when I told them that the answer is "Nowhere" or "well, if we negotiate on the price..."

Some people also asked how I got them to look so much like real wood. It could be because the main material used is real wood.

-Ropetus