Glue use help

Jonasty

So it was bound to happen, I had one of my finished minis have a piece snap off. My gremlin looking down the barrell of his rifle, the arrms w/ rifle attachment popped off.

My question and need of help is how do you apply a controlled and precise amount of glue to a mini? A few notes:

1. I assemble and spray base all my models before painting because I'm a bit heavy handed with the glue (stupid sausage fingers). I'm worried about over-applying and ruining the paint so that's why I try to avoid situations like this and glue everything first.
  2. I use standard Krazy or other normal brand super glue if it matters in your advice. Nice clear liquid that dries quick but can leave that white crusty like appearance which is why I paint last usually.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

if you are that affraid of botching up your paintwork, you can always squeeze a blob of superglue on your pallette or paintbottle cover (or whatever) and use a normal paper pin to pick it up and apply (smear) it onto the small surface that needs to be glued.

You should work fast to prevent the glue from drying too soon.

oh, and use the head of the pin for picking up the glue, it's easier but still allows careful aiming.

hope this helps...

Gel glue is nice for keeping it from running all over the place. Put a small dab in place and then hold the pieces together for 10-20 seconds. After that you should be able to let go.

Then use a toothpick or other pin-like object to scrap up whatever may have squeezed out of the cracks.

Let dry,.. and then check for any "touch-up" painting that may be necessary.

I can also be heavy handed with the squeeze bottle glue. I'd agree that using a pin head or toothpick from a blob you drop on some sort of scrap plastic or palette is a great way to keep the glue from running all over the place.

Good Luck fixing your mini. I hate when things break after painting. I got into the habit of pinning just about everything that is large enough to take a pin. More up front work, but tighter joins can prevent some later damage.

The green stuff and glue combo is also a method that works well, but i usually avoid it on smaller joins as the green stuff may end up being more work when it squishes from a small seam.

Take a needle, put it point first into a pin vice.

With a pair of good clippers, clip the end of the eye off, leaving prongs of the eye.

You now have a superglue applicator.

Use a very thin cyanoacrylate glue, squeeze some glue onto a tile, dip the applicator into the glue and apply to the surface.

Best practice is to hold the two components together and allow the glue to "wick" into the join.

I like using toothpicks and a paper plate during assembly of minis. I too suffer from sausage fingers. I put a dab of glue on the plate and dip my toothpick in dab and apply as needed. If you end up needing a big bloop of glue to help fill a gap, apply the glue directly to the toothpick. You can then roll the toothpick to keep the glue from dripping off and have a bit more control over its placement. The glue you use also makes a huge difference and each person has his own preference. My favorite if the Gorilla Super Glue. If you do try it make double extra sure you get the super glue version, not their standard version. Their standard version expands as it dries.