Webmonkey's Garage Kits,...

Webmonkey

(sidles into thread quietly)

>.>

<.<

>.>

<.<

Alright Web.

I blame you for this, wholeheartedly and unashamedly. I ordered two of these. They won't be here for a while. So...while they're in transit. What am I looking for with pastels, and what color do you use for your skin paint? Oh, and any recommendations for tools I'll need, like what you're sanding with?

alright,.. I covered most of this during the clockwork fairy, but here's the short version,..

airbrush and compressor (your choice of make(s) and model(s))

white primer (best undercoat for flesh tones, and a rattle-can is fine)

greenstuff/greystuff

vasoline (or whatever brand of petroleum jelly. this is used at the joints,.. apply to one side, then apply greenstuff to other surface. Mash both halves together, shape/smooth as necessary to fill any gaps, etc,... let dry. sand. The vasoline allows it be broken back apart easily enough so that you can paint the pieces later without having to worry about getting into any of those tight spaces that would otherwise show up if the pieces were fully assembled. After the pieces are broken apart again, clean off the jelly,.. prime, paint, glue and reassemble when ready)

sandpaper (400 or even 600 grit)

pastel sticks (easily purchased at any arts/crafts store for around $5 for a whole set. For skin shading, you'll want to use a red to reddish-brown tone. shave down into a powder. I like a two brush method,.. one to pick up and place the powder, and the other to smooth it out)

post-8871-13911929711718.jpg

Paint (any flesh tone will do, and may vary from model to model. But I find that I like Testors-Model Masters Acrylic 4601 Lt. Skin Tone. If you have to order it,.. be sure to get the Acrylic,.. they have the same tone in an oil base too 7601 I think. This will cause issues later on. Not only is the dry-time too long,.. but some other water based paints and various top-coats may not "play well" with the oil. Especially if the oil isn't dry and you try to use the pastels,.. it'll end up a wet-slimy-grainy mess)

2014-03-25180012.jpg

• Like 1

You are most welcome.

(some day, I need to do a tutorial video so you can see it. I could try with my phone,.. but I'd prefer a camcorder, or better yet, a set of video recording glasses so that you can see it all from my perspective)

(not sure that there'd be much call for such a video though)

ok,.. so the colors on the wing aren't coming out quite the way I'm seeing them in my head. I'm gonna have to do some more tweaking of the color and patterns until I get what I want, or may even need to change direction completely.

But in the mean-time,... here's a bit of a sneak-peek at the main body,.. (still in green stuff and sanding phase, of course)

2014-04-03175016.jpg

2014-04-03174945.jpg

2014-04-03174913.jpg

Oh, sorry I haven't checked the previous pages for some time now... (short span of attention)

I'm looking forward to see this finished, because she's my favourite comic book character and this got me enthusiastic.
If you like reading manga and you haven't read it, I heartilly reccomend the original series (cartoon doesn't do it justice).

Actually she's just a cyborg, not a real angel - this kit is based on the cover for the first issue of the comic and the angel theme is a symbolic theme for her character for the whole series. She doesn't have any wings in the first comic book series.

I might get her in future when I get better at painting (I hope).

No worries, you have some serious skills with these and I'm happy to see what will come out of it.
It's just a miniature and I'm looking forward to see it painted. I was just glad to see this kit exists ;)

I don't expect there are much fans of it besides me and James Cameron (in which case I'm a bit afraid of what will come out of his vision after he finishes the Avatar trilogy).

• 2 weeks later...