Making cheap/easy bamboo bases!

RebeccaJo

As promised, I have made a tutorial on how to make easy, cheap bamboo bases like the ones picture on Kirai's crew. I made 14 30mm bases and 2 40mm bases in about an hour and a half. That's from toothpicks to painted and glued to the green resin bases.

To make just the bases, you'll need toothpicks, Elmer's glue, clippers, something to use as a base insert, and some green stuff. I used two clamps that we had for priming models.

post-9639-13911929118768_thumb.jpg

First, for a 30mm base (22mm base insert) I used 10 toothpicks. Placed them in between the clamps and made sure they were right up against each other.

post-9639-13911929119238_thumb.jpg

Jeremy and I found that the tokens from the Terriclips sets. Taking some elmers glue and spreading it around, just place it centered on the toothpicks.

post-9639-13911929119748_thumb.jpg

Let dry before you remove it from the clamps.

post-9639-13911929120283_thumb.jpg

Next, take your clippers and start clipping around the base insert 1 toothpick by a time (it gives it a more rounded edge in the end). Also, cut toothpick side down to give it a closer edge.

As you go, it should look like this:

post-9639-13911929120792_thumb.jpg

After cutting the edges all the way off, I just mixed up a minuscule amount of green stuff and rolled it into a small string. Also pictured are some rubber sculpting tools. I used them to make sure the bands get down into the cracks of the bamboo and stay smooth.

post-9639-13911929121893_thumb.jpg

Taking a small segment of the green stuff, I just placed them over every two bamboo pieces. The pattern can change however you wish. There is room for a lot of interpretation and variation between each base you make. Get creative and make patterns with the bands. Sometimes less bands are more. Also feel free to adjust the thickness of the bands. For thinner bands, just make the string of green stuff thinner. Vice verses for thicker bands. The final product will look something like this.

post-9639-13911929122378_thumb.jpg

Once you finished all the bases, it's time for priming and painting. I used white primer. For the bamboo, I used Jack Bone (P3 paints) with a Gryphonne Sepia was from Citadel.

post-9639-13911929122875_thumb.jpg

For the bands 'holding' the bamboo, I used Ordic Olive (also P3 paints).

post-9639-13911929123877_thumb.jpg

Once it all dries, there you have it, easy bamboo bases. I just superglued mine to the green bases from Wyrd. As they are for my Kirai crew, I decided all green was a good change :D

post-9639-13911929125218_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture of all my bamboo bases (minus a couple that already have Seishan based on them).

post-9639-1391192912595_thumb.jpg

As you can see, there is a lot of different ways to make variations between the bases so they're not all the same. I hope this helps some of you out! :D

post-9639-13911929121501_thumb.jpg

post-9639-13911929123345_thumb.jpg

post-9639-13911929124483_thumb.jpg

Pretty neat idea!

As an addition, you could carve out little tid bits between two bamboo stalks and then put in some field grass or long static grass. Make it look like it has been there for quite a while. :)

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------

Also I spot red skin gremlin! :D

Pretty neat idea!

As an addition, you could carve out little tid bits between two bamboo stalks and then put in some field grass or long static grass. Make it look like it has been there for quite a while. :)

Yup. It would be very easy to do that :D Very easy indeed

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Also I spot red skin gremlin! :D

I have started painting some gremlins human colored. :D Those will be appearing later :D

She has a secret... it's a pretty extensive Kirai crew that is all unprimed and about 8 inches away from all these photos.

though, i think she has elected to finish her gremlin crew before moving forward with the spirits. Not that i mind, the gremlins were awesome to play against. Now i get to do it with showgirls.

Edit (that sounded terrible... but i stand by my comment.)

Edited by Jewomie
fail