A crazy idea (opinions needed)

Does anyone ever wonder which country has the best players? We see prominent posters from different areas disagreeing about the best way to use a certain model or play a crew, and I'm always curious to see who plays those models "most bestest."

Nowadays we do have Vassal as a way for players from around the world to play games together, but it isn't quite the same as getting models on the table.

Basically, I'm asking if there would be any interest in chipping money into a pot to assist winners of big tournaments around the world to go to Gen Con as a representative of their country.

Maybe there could even be a "tax" of 1 dollar/pound/your local currency for events throughout the year that could be collected for the overall winner's flight/expenses. I was primarily thinking of a tournament like the UK masters, since they seem to be a fairly organised bunch. I'm not sure how developed the tournament scene is in other countries, since I hear about it less, but there could be similar schemes in different areas.

I'd throw 5 bucks in out of curiosity. Anyone else?

You know even the European Team Championships for Warhammer is not supported by Games workshop and realistically they are about the only company that could do it.

As it is some of the better players do like to travel under their own impetus to major events such as Adepticon and Gencon.

What you could do is make an event for, say, Gencon and call it the Malifaux International GT. If people are planning on attending Gencon they can put their hand up to enter it, but in order to be accepted they have to be nominated by a jury of their peers of their country of origin. This can skip the potential unpleasantness of rankings. If they don't get nominated they can still enter a tournament the day before which will be a blind draft format where the player picks a crew out of the hat and has to use it for the entire tournament (with perhaps a few extra minions for a little flexibility). This will separate the really good players who can win with anything from the one crew players. From this tournament two plus X wildcards will be tapped to play in the International GT where X is as many places that need to be filled to make the tournament happen. In the GT the players would get to pick their crews as normal, though to be honest this blind draft idea I've just made up is actually intriguing.

So there you have it, my idea for a International GT. Feel free to use or elaborate upon it.