Alternate Sonnia Avatar Dragon Sculpt

i_was_like_you

It's a pity that shipping is within US only, else I'd have a crack at this!

Send the seller a question regarding that and maybe something can be worked out. I made the mistake of bidding on and winning a Santana from Eire that wasn't supposed to be international shipping, but the guy quoted me a decent shipping price. He even opened up his auction of his second one to international sales.

So that's who outbid me at the last second. Knew I shoulda used my computer. This phone app is so slow. Congrats.

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Now paint it and post it. And if the paintjob isn't awesome, we'll track you down and kill you. :D

That escalated quickly.

In that case, maybe pay for a custom paintjob before they ship it to you.

Cheers, I had a feeling that whoever else was bidding would be on the forums. Half expected it to reach NLCB price, but obviously glad it didn't.

Getting it painted before posting would have a 6 month delay due to the seller having other commitments. Also, the quoted fee, while very reasonable considering the quality of the paintjob and what I'm assuming is at least a full day's labour for a professional, is high enough that I would be absolutely terrified of chips and breakage during international shipping.

That said, I wasn't happy with my own attempt at painting the regular model, so I'll probably get a friend of mine to do this one for me. I'm nearly always highly impressed with his paintjobs.

And yeah, I promise some pics! :)

Considering I posted the link on here, you can safely bet that I was going to be bidding on it.

Had I been on my computer, I mighta pushed things closer to NLCB prices, even if they were well out of my budget at the moment.

But I wasn't the only one bidding on it, that's for sure. It was $10.50 for days, then it went to $20.50. Set my alarm to wake up before the auction ended, and it was at $26 something. Then it started jumping up from there.

It was kinda a double edged sword in posting it on here. It gave the seller more exposure, which gave more people chances to bid on it. I didn't want to be greedy and keep a find like that to myself.

I am kinda hoping to see more alternate sculpts for other models that just didn't make the final cut go up for auction, but with the switch to plastics, done by computer render, I doubt we'll get any more nice little artifacts of gamer history like this one.

Cheers, I had a feeling that whoever else was bidding would be on the forums. Half expected it to reach NLCB price, but obviously glad it didn't.

Getting it painted before posting would have a 6 month delay due to the seller having other commitments. Also, the quoted fee, while very reasonable considering the quality of the paintjob and what I'm assuming is at least a full day's labour for a professional, is high enough that I would be absolutely terrified of chips and breakage during international shipping.

That said, I wasn't happy with my own attempt at painting the regular model, so I'll probably get a friend of mine to do this one for me. I'm nearly always highly impressed with his paintjobs.

And yeah, I promise some pics! :)

Sorry about the other commitments. :) And the quoted price would have taken me far longer than a day! I do understand nervousness about international shipping chipping though (unintentional rhyming). Send me a pm if you change your mind about the paint. ;)

Soooooo tempting... :)

Weird, I could have sworn I'd typed "and probably closer to 3" up above, must be getting old!

I actually think that art and artists are undervalued in general. I remember being in an art gallery a few years ago when some idiot grumbled that $700 (Cdn) was a ridiculous amount for a painting. The artist heard him and pointed out that the picture represented 2 weeks of his full-time work. Work that had to feed his kids or he'd end up having to work in an office again. The guy changed his mind about the value pretty quickly! :)

A major part of art is marketing. You have to find a target audience that is willing to meet your price point.

Talent and / or skill is supposed to be a requirement, but with so many styles, toddlers could do better.

There's a fellow in this town who espouses the virtues of recycling and saving mother earth, but then instead of recycling, he welds scraps of metal into the shape of bugs and sells them for thousands of dollars.

At least in a field like sculpting or painting miniatures, we can have easy comparisons of what is good at the various levels we've established for painting. Something to strive for.

• 1 month later...