Starting Viks...

M_Ruckuss

So After a terrible 1st game with the Viks a few years ago( my opponent was play testing the kirai avatar) and being put off her in a huge way I played against her at a tournament and have dug her out having enjoyed playing against her!

so 25ss.... X2 Viks, Vanessa and cache 8 leaves me with 10ss. My first thought was drop 2ss and take von schill and student of conflict or a pair of ronin. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I've played against it, it's quite effective but not suited for every strategy and situation. There's no intrinsic burning token synergy either so it takes a bit for the golem to warm up. A rail golem with few burning tokens is far less deadly.

The Rail Golum is less deadly without as many tokens, but still worth well over the 9 points it costs. For me, it is the most undervalued model of book 4. I put it in the same catagory power wise as Ashes and Dust, Snow Storm and the twins (who should be at least 8 each and have 1/2 the powers they currently have, but another story), and for only 9.

Hey, you've made me come out of my Forum retirement !!

The Viks +Von Schill is a fantastic combo, but to run them both effectively you need a lot of stones - especially if you aren't bringing a Librarian. Whilst the Student of Conflict is good, I would rather have the additional Stones - The Viks and Von Schill don't have any spells worth casting by a Totem (I am not even sure it can cast their spells due to the wording), so you are paying a lot for an occasional Fast.

Rather than going Fast, try bringing the opponent to you with Oiran, or my favourite Hamelin !!

Another issue with Viks + Von Schill + A load of stones is a low model count, so being out activated is a problem - maybe consider using Vanessa to bring along a Steampunk Arachnid Swarm ?

Hope all is good with you - we need to arrange a game soon !!

The Rail Golum is less deadly without as many tokens, but still worth well over the 9 points it costs. For me, it is the most undervalued model of book 4. I put it in the same catagory power wise as Ashes and Dust, Snow Storm and the twins (who should be at least 8 each and have 1/2 the powers they currently have, but another story), and for only 9.

Don't get me wrong the rail golem is a good model. But it is not op'd. It can be taken down but it isn't gonna be taken down by one model (barring leve he can get it in one activation). I personally believe it is costed appropriatley. I think izamu might be underpointed slightly but its not op'd either.

I love the shooting power the convict gunslinger brings to the team, this always gets a big thumbs up from me....mind you I'm certainly no tournament winner :(

Von Schill is an awesome addition, but as has been mentioned when combined with no SS cache for the masters it leaves you well short on activations

So After a terrible 1st game with the Viks a few years ago( my opponent was play testing the kirai avatar) and being put off her in a huge way I played against her at a tournament and have dug her out having enjoyed playing against her!

so 25ss.... X2 Viks, Vanessa and cache 8 leaves me with 10ss. My first thought was drop 2ss and take von schill and student of conflict or a pair of ronin. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

How did you have a terrible game against Kirai with the Viks? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the Viks are one of the best anti-Kirai masters in the game. Did you just have horrible card draws? If you are worried about that particular matchup again I would suggest Taelor instead of schill as she has a magic, construct destroying weapon of death with a 3 inch melee range. But I always suggest Taelor.

How did you have a terrible game against Kirai with the Viks? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the Viks are one of the best anti-Kirai masters in the game. Did you just have horrible card draws? If you are worried about that particular matchup again I would suggest Taelor instead of schill as she has a magic, construct destroying weapon of death with a 3 inch melee range. But I always suggest Taelor.

first ever game with them during avatar play testing. 8ss kirai avatar with slow to die... I killed the avatar 8 times, literally, but slow to die meant it stayed on the table.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Hey, you've made me come out of my Forum retirement !!

The Viks +Von Schill is a fantastic combo, but to run them both effectively you need a lot of stones - especially if you aren't bringing a Librarian. Whilst the Student of Conflict is good, I would rather have the additional Stones - The Viks and Von Schill don't have any spells worth casting by a Totem (I am not even sure it can cast their spells due to the wording), so you are paying a lot for an occasional Fast.

Rather than going Fast, try bringing the opponent to you with Oiran, or my favourite Hamelin !!

Another issue with Viks + Von Schill + A load of stones is a low model count, so being out activated is a problem - maybe consider using Vanessa to bring along a Steampunk Arachnid Swarm ?

Hope all is good with you - we need to arrange a game soon !!

All is good. Lots of news; lots of changes recently! Good to hear from you bud: get in touch of you have time...! And ta for the advice!