Viktoria + Von Schill Crew?

D-A-C

Hey everyone.

I recently got a great deal on a Von Schill Boxset and immediately fell in love with the simplicity of the crew ... basically the boxset + Strongarm suit plus desperate merc = full 35ss list how perfect is that? For basically around £25 a full Malifaux crew and a thematic one!!!

However, after checking up this forum you guys have all cost me money by recommending that I can use Von Schill as Henchman to the Viks and essentially get 3 Masters on the table. So now I have to have the Viks in order to offer me another fun way to use Von Schill :) but I was wondering what you guys think of crew selection when it comes to Viks + Von Schill for 35ss games?

Here is kinda what I was thinking:

Viktorias - 4ss

Von Schill

x2 Freikorpmann

Freikorp Librarian

Vanessa

That's it :)

I really like Convict Gunslinger but I don't think I could get him in, unless maybe I drop a Freikorpmann and just roll with 3ss which fells like a tad too few.

But then again Vanessa buffs the Viks (supposedly?) so she could stick with those two, Libraian could stick with VonSchill and the plucky Convict Gunslinger and Freikorpmann could be like two guys from an 80's buddy cop film getting in all sorts of adventures.

What do you guys think? Any models worth a look?

I already own Convict Gunslinger, Desperate Merc from outcasts along with the Von Schill boxset, so I was thinking of just buying the Viks individually, plus Vannessa, but if there are one or two other models worth including for a pool of options that would be great.

I've played against the Viks a lot, and Von Schill a lot. You will want all 8 stones with three soul stone users on the field. The Viks are actually not that difficult to kill without stones. Von Schill gets most of his staying power by combining slow to die with use soul stones.

As far as the Viks go, the box set comes with Taelor, Johan, and Bishop. Most people think Bishop is way overpriced. I think Taelor is awesome and I want to include her a lot. I dont play outcasts and I like her. Johan is usually recommended as a cheaper alternative to Taelor.

The problem with your list is that you have three highly priced models. If you leave enough left for a decent amount of soul stones in your pool, you will struggle with out activation.

The vicks do not tend to go for activation's, they usually go for hitting you hard and quick.

From what i have seen with the vicks, you want 7 - 8 stones always with the vicks, Von Schill just makes you need them all the more. As above, Taylor is a great model for the vicks, as is the convict gunslinger, works for practically anyone and is great for most of them :)

I played a game against Viks, Von Schill, and Jack Daw with some other stuff which didn't matter. It wasn't a fun game. There were some questionable plays but it probably wouldn't have mattered when you can't cheat and VS just keeps healing after death.

Have both the Viks and Von Schill, and usually if i play them together, i tend to use some of the following, depending on the strat: convict gunslinger, tealor, strong arm, librarian, desperate mercs, Killjoy (actually got quite fond of this big guy), jack daw, Hamelin the ratchatcher, johan.

It all comes down to your opponent and strat.

If you suspect that you will go against alot of constructs: Jack daw and Hamelin is out, Johan and taelor is in.

Going against normal squishy guild people: Killjoy is in, strong arm is in, librarian is in.

and so forth. but have had pretty good experience with all these models :)

Best regards

Seb

• 2 weeks later...

I usually run

Victorias

Von Schill

Student of Conflict

Ronin

Ronin

8 SS Cache

It is a relatively versatile crew that can do most of the strategies. Schemes wise I usually take Assassinate and First Blood.

Yes, you get out activated but this crew is so fast and hits hard enough you can do surgical strikes and then pull out to regroup.

Little things like drawing a card after one of the Viks killed a model and doing the Companion chain with Viks + SoC ensures you the ability to hit models that seem out of reach or are trying to make a break for it.

I am looking forward to test the crew with 1 less Ronin for Vanessa but I will have less SS and 2 Ronins is a possible 4 extra SS upon Seppeku if I ran out of SS and need the extra SS to finish off certain models/masters which happened more than once.

Pro tip: Ronins usually end up protecting my back line or guard against a Stake a Claim objective.

Edited by Dezzo

the viks where my first master and prob still my best. the crew i usually run now (after years of experimenting) is:

35 ss

Viks 4ss cache

Von Schill

Ronin x 3

Misaki

i never have trouble with von schill dying cuz nothing catches him!

if need be i will drop some ronin to add in taelor or a librarian etc, depends on my opponents crew and the strats. have had phenomenal success with this list, only 1 loss against a very experienced player running Dora.