LOS and 2 obscuring bases

Spifferson

Question

Here is a situation that I encountered while playing a game and we were not sure of the proper rules interpretation.

Seamus is standing in an obscuring forest base trying to target Mei Feng on another obscuring forest base. From master to master it goes;

2" obscuring[base1]-- 2" open ground-- 2" obscuring[base2]

Can Seamus draw LOS to Mei as neither of them is greater then 3" into there respective obscuring base? or would you add up the total distance that is obscuring for a total of 4" and therefore no LOS?

We played that Seamus could in fact see her and granted Mei soft cover.

7 answers to this question

The confusion comes about from the section dealing with the obscuring trait referencing singular bases using -a/an- with nothing about a total distance.
Its something I've been wondering as well lately after learning you can't see through a 1" forest in Warmahordes. It is a little confusing depending on how you interpret the line

"Models can draw LoS up to 3" across an intervening base with the obscuring trait, but not entirely through the base."

I'm inclined to believe it just means that you can't fully see through the base in the descriptive stance. Obscuring terrain just becomes far superior to blocking terrain if you also can't see through it if it's 3" or less. Soft cover already can't be ignored without a talent or ability.