Red Joker on a neg flip

Magic Dave

Question

16 answers to this question

On a negative flip you usually use the lowest card flipped.

If you flip the red joker as part of a negative flip you can choose to use it instead - but you are not forced to do so.

If you flip the black joker, as part of any flip (positive, negative or straight), even one including the red joker, then you get no choice - the black joker must be used.

I had a Red Joker come up in an unusual situation in a tournament on Sunday. I was shooting in to a combat, with Misaki, in combat with aKirai and a Punk Zombie.

The rules state the model with the lowest value flip is the one targetted.

Misaki flips a 10, Punk Zombie flips a 12, then aKirai flips a 5, 8 and Red Joker.

We played that the Red Joker trumps the others giving aKirai the highest card and forcing me to cheat the ranged attack so as not to harm Misaki.

If choosing to use the Red Joker is optional did we play this wrong?

It would have turned the game completely!

I've actually seen the concept of the Red Joker/Black Jokers being considered when changing defensives/offensives in a way that would seem counter-intuitive.

For example, if the Red Joker is still in the deck and there is no Black Joker (either in your hand or already used for this turn) then even if you are Even on the damage, you just might want to cheat the Attack total down to get a :-fate :-fate if you don't have anything higher than a Weak in your hand.

There is a good chance a three cards on the Damage flip will pull a Red Joker than just an even flip.

I think you played it wrong.

In this case, for targeting its pretty simple.

Since AKirai flips 3 cards she is 3x more likely to get hit.

You just see which is the lowest card and thats it. You dont have to choose one out of those three as a valid one, so rj doesnt trump anything here. No point in that.

Atleast, thats my reasoning.

I think you played it wrong.

In this case, for targeting its pretty simple.

Since AKirai flips 3 cards she is 3x more likely to get hit.

You just see which is the lowest card and thats it. You dont have to choose one out of those three as a valid one, so rj doesnt trump anything here. No point in that.

Atleast, thats my reasoning.

We queried it with a couple of henchmen, but I could quite believe that is the case. However the rule of common sense doesn't apply in the case of the Red Joker. It trumps on a -ve flip and I could equally believe that the RAW suggest that it would also do so in this case.

We queried it with a couple of henchmen, but I could quite believe that is the case. However the rule of common sense doesn't apply in the case of the Red Joker. It trumps on a -ve flip and I could equally believe that the RAW suggest that it would also do so in this case.

I see your point.

But then again, look at the black jocker initiative flip... you can reflip that.