Showgirls,..

Webmonkey

Nice work so far, on the way to some great paintjobs!

I'm liking the color choices, might have to steal it when(if) my showgirls arrive.

As far as protecting the minis, pinning the joints+varnish is a good idea for regularly used minis, I know I've managed to make some of my mini's damn near indestructible (at least compared to the dangers of the tabletop).

Looking forward to seeing more!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen display models of a lesser quality so yea i think you are been too hard on yourself. I too am aspiring to be a "painting god" I have only been seriously painting for the past 6 months (when i started playing malifaux)

The reason is to paint vast armies to the same quality is just impractical. Next mini you paint try and get an extra level of detail. Maybe even practice a bit of free hand if itturns out rubish so what. Improve on the model after or try some nmm. Thats what im working on at the moment. Its far from perfect but slowly getting there.

Kind of rambeling on here appolagies but to sumarise i thinkyour 2 manaquins are looking great. The use of colours the shades/tones selected and execution are all top notch :) so keep up the good work and mediocore painters like us will some day be the ones people look at and go "oooh wish i was that good...."

Started on Colette herself,.. gonna try to take my time with this one. It's such a sweet looking model, I'd hate to do a half-ass hack job on it. I'm gonna try to pull off a "sheer" look on the leggings. Gonna be my first attempt at semi-see-thru cloth,... so cross your fingers for me and we'll see how this pans out. If I fail,.. it may end up being fish-nets, or solid leggings.

Well,.. here goes nothing,...

Just take your time and enjoy it. If you get all bunched up while painting it you will just mess it up! Take it easy.

Also how I would do leggings: Paint the skin on the model and then pick a dark brown (or whichever color tone the leggings are supposed to have and mix that with the base skin tone you plan to use and work your way up from that by mixing more and more skin tone to the mix and highlight it as if you would be painting natural skin, just darker.

Collette will be on my platter eventually and I do have some cool things planned to paint her. Such an awesome model. <3

Go for it Web, just take your time and make sure every layer is nice and thin! And let them dry really thoroughly between coats *wink*

I'm one of those that paints the skin under the stockings fully, then glazes on the stockings really carefully. But any way you can make it work for you is good!

so what do you guys think? I know it's incomplete at the moment, but the focus here is on the transparency of the leggings. Too thick? too thin? more flesh tone? less?? Once again,.. yes I know, crappy picture,...

oh,.. and also, you'll have to account for the glare dying down once it's matte coated,.. I don't intend the legging to remain that shiny.

As always,.. thoughts are welcome,.. critisims encouraged,..

post-8871-13911927628979_thumb.jpg

Is it not covering that well? I just see a lot of pewter still. Unless its jjust a trick of the light.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Im sure others like Mako and EBM can show me up quite eeasily, but for the stockings in my crew here:

8vJ4D.jpg

I started with a bleach bone spray base, painted up the skin to elf flesh (or skin tone of your choice) and then used a very watered down (stocking colour). Watered down to the point its really just ink or wash. Think dirty paint cup water. Then just carefully painted over the skin tone. It doesn't looks as good as some of the other Showgirls I've seen, but its a very easy technique

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

I think it comes out best on Cassie

No,.. I put it on thin, on purpose, so as to not obscure any details. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to coat every square mm of the model for effective adhesion.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Yeah,.. I'm really trying to get that "flesh underneath" look,.. if that makes sense. I really need to get a couple of those coryphee in my list too.

Yours are even a bit more solid then I'm looking for. I want a bit more sheerness to it. Just not sure if I'm pulling it off well or if I should scrap it and try again,..