Must have models

Aeschere

Hey there,

Perhaps my search ability isn't what it used to be but I seem to be missing a thread where new players (like myself) can go and see which models are a must for a certain master to be semi competitive in a tournament environment.

Perhaps you can help me fill out this list? I will update it as more suggestions come in

Nicodem

The Undertaker's Lot Box Set

Mindless Zombies

Nicodem, Avatar of Decay

Rotten Belle

Grave Spirit

Crooked Men

Desperate Mercenary

Onryo

Seamus

The Chapel Gang Box set

Seamus, Avatar of Dread

Dead Doxy

Copy Cat Killer

McMourning

Canine Remains

Zombie Chiuahua

Rogue Necromany

Convict Gunslinger

Rotten Belles

Von Schill

Molly

Kirai

Spirits of Vengeance Box Set

Seishin

Lost Love

Shikome

Gaki

Izamu

The Drowned

Yan Lo

Master of the Path Box Set

Izamu

Thanks in advance. At least from me and hopefully this will eventually be a big help to every new resser player.

Edited by Aeschere

While that might be true they don't list any of the newer models or the most efficient models (at least from what I read). Take Nicodem for example, the Malifaux.com website lists the Vulture as an expansion model and while this might be true for casual gaming I believe that the general consensus is that for competitive gaming the vulture is best left at home and that for example a Dead Rider is more suited.

While that might be true they don't list any of the newer models or the most efficient models (at least from what I read). Take Nicodem for example, the Malifaux.com website lists the Vulture as an expansion model and while this might be true for casual gaming I believe that the general consensus is that for competitive gaming the vulture is best left at home and that for example a Dead Rider is more suited.

A dead rider and a vulture do VERY different things though!

My thoughts:

Colette - Coryphee (I know it's not on here, but if you add this to the starter box, you're good to go)

Yan Lo - Izamu. You need an Ancestor model or two other than Chiaki who comes in the starter box to get the max out of his abilities.

Kirai - Seishin. Lots of Seishin. They're Rare 5 for a reason.

Molly - Accompanies the Seamus starter nicely.

McMourning - from what I've heard, his box needs the most augmentation. Apparently, there's no reason why you need to field two nurses at the same time (I don't play McM but that's what I've heard), so adding belles and punk zombies is a good idea. Canine Remains are particularly popular choices with McMourning lists because they provide cheap corpse / bodypart counters to summon flesh constructs.

Hope this helps!

Seamus:

Dead foxy, copycat killer, maybe the hanged.

Mourning:

Canine remains, zombie Chihuahua, rogue necromancy, ranged models such convict gunslinger.

Nicodem:

Box set is great, rotten belle, grave spirit, crooked men, desperate merc, onryo.

Kirai:

Again box set great, seishin, lost love, shikome, gaki, izamu, the drowned.

a thread where new players (like myself) can go and see which models are a must for a certain master to be semi competitive in a tournament environment.

If you check out http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/ you'll find what you're after. Think of it as the official tactics place for Malifaux.

In terms of what is a "must have" model though it is very much dependent on the player's playing style etc, what strategy you're playing, and how you wish to achieve that strategy. There are some models which are generally very good with a particular master, but most of the time there are other models which can achieve the same task in a totally different way.

Just as a little example, I play Marcus a fair bit, and generally people take the approach that if you are using Marcus, you need some Silurids. Unfortunately, I don't like the Silurid models, so I don't own them. However, I still do alright with Marcus because there are a lot of other models which he can use, which can achieve his goals in different ways.

So looking at your vulture vs dead rider point (though I don't know much about Nicodem), the vultures (I believe) basically extend Nicodem's casting range, and let him hide safely somewhere, and still cast spells at the enemy. In contrast, the dead rider runs up to things and hits them... hard. So if your task is to kill a particular model, you could either do it by casting spells through a vulture, or through bashing it with a dead rider. Both options are good, neither is a "must have".

Disclaimer: I don't know enough about Nicodem to know if he can kill stuff off by casting through a vulture, but you get the idea.

With McM I've had great success with Rotten Belles and Von Schill, they are almost auto-includes for me. Night Terrors are great objective grabbers for almost anyone (though I'm not sure if Seamus would need them with his augmentation of Belles) and the Dead Rider adds a lot of control with his Drag along ability for heavy hitter lists, but he kinda needs a Grave Spirit linked to him. And of course in case of McM, you can never go wrong with a Chihuahua and a few Canines for bodyparts.