worth 7 dollars?

Webmonkey

Hmm, I would actually ask for the amount of time you spent on the model. Considering that looks more like several hours of work, I wouldn't want to have an hourly wage on painting of about a buck fifty. Not including material costs, such as paint and tools.

If it's a quickie for a friend or somebody you know, sure. lol

True. I tend to average about 4 hours per model. So, yeah, that'd be about 1.50 an hour. It is for a friend though. So then the question becomes what's the going rate for something like this?

Way worth it. You even put in the eyes and I can see the white of the eyes as well. All lines are painted straight and accordingly. You have all the ground work done including the details. All you need is to add in some extra highlight and shades. To me, these are the last step. A lot of what so called painters did not even bother to do the face and lines were not straight. Many readers look for different layers of shades and highlights and forget to check the face and attention to details and say that it is "so-so". They simply do not know how to judge.

Basing is generally undesirable when buying a single painted piece, unless the painter knows exactly what the client's basing scheme will be.

In this case,.. it's a simple grass flock to match the rest of his army.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Way worth it. You even put in the eyes and I can see the white of the eyes as well. All lines are painted straight and accordingly. You have all the ground work done including the details. All you need is to add in some extra highlight and shades. To me, these are the last step. A lot of what so called painters did not even bother to do the face and lines were not straight. Many readers look for different layers of shades and highlights and forget to check the face and attention to details and say that it is "so-so". They simply do not know how to judge.

See,.. that's one of my personal pet peeves too. I like straight lines and crisp edges more then the shading/highlighting. It bothers the crap out of me to have my tunic color bleeding over onto my flesh,.. or my pants color bleeding over onto the belt or shirt. Sometimes, I think people tend to "overshade/highlight",.. to the point where it just doesn't look natural. Cloth, for example, shouldn't have as hard of a "highlight-edge" as say,.. a piece of metal. The transition should be less noticeable and "softer".

Just my 2 cents,..

That quality you can fetch around 12.00 on a steady rate , I am a fast painter so I make it work , really the only way to cut a decent profit is too paint high quality figs and charge more I usually get $50-65 for a mounted model . I try to do one off pieces more like a enter piece fig for a crew or unit . This way also helps from burn out after painting the same faction for a few weeks straight .

It is difficult to make a good hourly wage in comission painting unless you are a very "fast" painter, have largish units to work on (where Batch painting can make up time) or charge a higher price per piece (which as Webmonkey points out reduces your clientele and also causes increased expectation of finished results).

Most clients want good tabletop quality. No point to spend so much time to paint it to show-case level unless he asks for it as a center piece. Consistency in quality and color scheme among all the figures in the same unit is very important. When they are placed together, they still look very nice at the tabletop standard (defined as looking at the figure at arm's length).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...