Questions about death effects (Slow to Die, Does Not Die!, Love the Job, and more)

Allandrel

Question

Played some more games, getting a much better feeling for how the game works.

I have a few questions about how some of the "death effect" abilities interact:

#1) Interaction of Coppelius' The Dying Dream and the Executioner's Love the Job: The Dying Dream inflicts Wd "before (Coppelius) leaves play" and Love the Job heals the Executioner "when an enemy model... is removed from play."

So is this timing correct?

1. Executioner deals damage with an Executioner Claws Strike, reducing Coppelius' Wd to 0 (or successfully Decapitates him, either way Coppelius is killed by the Strike).

2. The Dying Dream inflicts 4 Wd on the Executioner.

3. Love the Job heals the Executioner of all wounds and Coppelius is removed from play.

#2) Follow on from #1, what if the Wd inflicted by The Dying Dream reduced the Executioner to 0 Wd? Do you resolve the Executioner's Slow to Die Action (including possible healing if he kills another model with it) before finishing resolving Coppelius' death? If the Executioner fails to heal himself, will he die before the Love the Job healing from killing Coppelius occurs?

#3) Does Not Die!: Does this ability set the Stitched Together's Wd to 1 even if it was killed by an effect other than having its Wd reduced to 0? (e.g., Seamus uses Slit Jugular on an unwounded Stitched Together).

#4) Regarding effects that occur when a model is killed or kills another model: Am I correct in understanding that if a model is killed but saved by Slow to Die or It Will Not Die the model is not considered to have been killed at all for any effects other than the ones that saved it?

For example, is this correct?

1. An Executioner kills a Stitched Together with an Executioner Claws Strike. 2. Does Not Die! goes into effect, setting the Stitched Together's Wd to 1.

3. Since the Stitched Together is not killed after all, Love the Job does not go off.

4. During the Resolve Effects step, the Stitched Together is sacrificed by Does Not Die!

#5) Following on from #4, Does Not Die! sacrifices the Stitched Together, not whatever effect would have killed it. Does that mean that a Stitched Together sacrificed by Does Not Die! is not considered to have been killed/sacrificed by an enemy model for purposes of Strategies like Slaughter or Schemes like Frame For Murder or Kill Protege (making the Stitched Together a very poor choice for those Schemes)?

#6) Executioner vs. Executioner: I just want to make sure that we got everything right here:

1. Executioner Bob (Wd 9) hits Executioner Dave (Wd 9) with an Executioner Claws Strike, dealing 4 Dg and triggering Decapitate.

2. Dave takes 4 Wd, reducing his Wd to 5.

3. Dave can't/won't discard control cards, so Decapitate kills him.

4. Dave's Slow to Die goes off, giving him a 1 AP action.

5. Dave makes an Executioner's Claws Strike against Bob, dealing 6 Dg and triggering Decapitate.

6. Bob takes 6 Wd, reducing his Wd to 3.

7. Bob can't/won't discard control cards, so Decapitate kills him.

8. Bob's Slow to Die takes effect, giving him a 1 AP action.

9. Bob can't use the action to attack Dave, since Dave has already been "killed" pending the outcome of his Slow to Die action. So Bob uses his action to perform an Executioner Claws Strike on Guild Guard Alice (Wd 6), dealing 4 Dg and triggering Decapitate.

10. Guild Guard Alice takes 3 Wd (due to her Armor +1), reducing her Wd to 3.

11. Alice can't/won't discard control cards, so Bob's Decapitate kills her.

12. Bob's Love the Job goes off from killing Alice, healing his Wd back up to 9, and Alice is removed from play.

13. Bob has not negated Dave's Decapitate effect, so he is still killed.

14. Dave's Love the Job goes off from killing Bob, healing his Wd back up to 9, and Bob is removed from play.

15. Dave has not negated Bob's Decapitate effect, so he is still killed.

16. Dave is removed from play.

Yes, this happened.

6 answers to this question

1:yes, Executioner heals.

2: Yes, slow to die interrupts as it is immediately. If he fails to heal in that situation he would be removed.

4: correct. Love the job fails if Does not Die is in effect.

5: I was sure it counts as killed the first time does not die is activated, and but I could be wrong...

6: yeah, looks correct to me....

5: This is often confused. Here is a link to the official ruling. In summary, it does not count towards your opponents score. However, if you sacrifice a Stitched Together prior to Does Not Die! triggering, Does Not Die! does not go off and the model IS counted towards VP.

CLARIFICATION

Edited by PeregrineFalco
See Errata, wrong clarification...

I'd like to go back to the number 2 in the original post:

#2) Follow on from #1, what if the Wd inflicted by The Dying Dream reduced the Executioner to 0 Wd? Do you resolve the Executioner's Slow to Die Action (including possible healing if he kills another model with it) before finishing resolving Coppelius' death? If the Executioner fails to heal himself, will he die before the Love the Job healing from killing Coppelius occurs?

Can the Executioner target Copellius with his slow to die action? With the strike killing Copellius who then again deals the 4 wounds and thus creating a loop that keeps going till the executioner misses?

I apologize Peregrine, but you are incorrect. They have since reversed that ruling. If you look in the model Errata and clarifications page on Malifaux.com you'll notice this:

Very good. Thanks Fetid, honestly that was what I thought and I had it written up as such. Then did a quick double check (Search on PullMyFinger), and found that post (I referenced). Cheers for clarification!