New to Malifaux and The Guild

trooper153

Howdy,

My gaming cronies have talked me into playing Malifaux. I have a few models. I figured that this would be the place to find out what to add to the collection to have a viable variety of crews to field. The models I have are Perdita, Francisco, Santiago, Nino, Papa Loco, an Austringer, a Peacekeeper, and a Guardian. My inclination is that lower soulstone costing models are needed, a la Hounds.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian

As a base to start with, you have made a good start.

The guild is spoilt for choice in cheap models really. Witchling stalkers, Death Marshalls, Guild guard, Watchers and hounds.

My first question to you is are you planning on sticking with Perdita as your only master or are you likely to branch out.

Lady Justice and Sonnia Criid both have good 4 ss models in their starter boxes, and the watcher (3 ss)is in the Hoffman box, so if you are likely to branch out, then buying the box is cheaper in the long run

Hounds are also useful for speed, but less so for activation control as they are likely to want to activate together to get the most out of each other (They have companion: Guild hound as well as Companion: Master) and get a free walk.

The Enslaved Nephlim is a nice totem for Perdita as it comes with a mask in its Ca stat, so its much easier to cast Obey with it.

Probably best is to play a few games with what you have, anmd see where your play style struggles with what you have.

Witchling stalkers are very nice in melee and shutting down enemy models. They also explode on death.

Death marshalls are pretty good at shooting, and get a final attack on death. They aren't bad in melee either.

Guards can offer some pretty good board control, and their armour helps them sstick around. Again they are pretty good in melee and at range.

The Watcher is bad in combat, but fast and signifigant. It also helps against enemies that have cover, or are terrifying which might help.

Hounds need to be near another hound to be able to interact, but they are fast moving.

I've never tried the Latigo pistoleros so can't comment.

Finally, you might want to look at buying a desperate mercenary or 2. They are only 2 ss model, but will go away during the game unless you spend another ss on them. They are often dead before this comes around, so you don't have to pay them.

Adran,

Many thanks for the advice. Witchlings and Death Marshalls looked like a viable avenue after I did some reading on crew lists that other folks had posted. My first game is in two weeks at a 35 SS level. It looks as if I will go with the low-figure count, hard hitting crew to start.

Thanks, again!

Cheers,

Brian

Adran's really on the mark. Especially about trying what you have and considering whether you will expand into other masters.

I'm a long time Guild player (mainly Perdita) and own everything they can field. When I play Perdita I find myself fielding Witchlings a lot with Marshals being a close second.

But I have a lot of fun playing both Sonnia and Lady J....so getting their boxes was a no-brainer for me.

I would agree with the suggestions given by dgraz and adran.

It would be far cheaper to get the Sonnia and Lady J boxes if you are looking at the Witchling Stalkers and Death Marshalls. At least if decide to bring higher point minions, you have Hopkins and the Judge to help your crew.

As for Hoffman and Lucius' box sets, that I would leave up to you. The Hoffman box has the Watcher and the Guardian (excellent bodyguard for Lady J) while Lucius has the female Guild Guard model and the Guild Guard Captain both good minions to have.

If you are sticking with Perdita, I suggest getting the Enslaved Nephilim (for an extra "Obey" spell), Abuella (Another "Obey" caster and healing) and the Brutal Effigy (Healing).

As for Guild Hounds, I got 2 blisters (4 hounds) and just say "release the Hounds" whenever you deploy them.

for Mercs, get 2 Desperate Mercs and you'll have disposable "kinda ok" shooters where you can lure your enemies or at least cause some distraction/diversion.

One more thing about Desperate Mercenaries...

DO NOT FORGET "A Last Noble Deed". When a Desperate Merc is killed, it elects a friendly model within 4" and that model makes a healing flip. I was able to save a key minion (and Master) at a crucial point in my game. So if you a near dead minion activating within a Desperate Merc, kill the merc and get the healing flip.

You'll thank me in the morning.. LOL

Nothing beats the confused look on my opponent's faces: "Why are you killing your Desperate Merc? Oh, that's why... smart!"

Sorry for th Hijack, but i have a similar deal. Except that I have yet to buy any models yet. Looking at the Sonnia Cridd crew box. I have some change left over to purchase another model.. need advice on what is best to go with her. My group is usually playing 20-25ss games. Any advice beyond what you guys have already posted will be appreciated. Thanks

For Sonnia, get Desperate Mercs. Sonnia has a spell that would convert a model into Witchling Stalkers... so the 2 ss Desperate Merc is a "cheap" Witchling Stalker.

I know I'm repeating myself but that 2 ss minion is usually overlooked but can serve it's perpose almost every game... and I've killed a lot of minions with my Mercs (since opponents underestimate these guys).

As for other minions, get the Witchling Handler. This minion would help boost the Witchling Stalkers' abilities.

Also, if you can, get a Guardian for Sonnia... she's kinda squishy so perhaps the Guardian can soak up some wounds...

Edited by dunce002917