Killjoy - almost finished needs gore advice...

Pox

This was one fun model to paint, and did my own take on this brute. The metallics still need work most specifically gore/blood effects but that is where i drew a blank.. anyone know any realistic ways to paint THICK gore rather then just paint it on several layers? thinking PVA or water effect might help?

anyway here is my killjoy take, any other comments and criticisms also welcome:

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

Gory and disgusting. In other words: I really like it. Get the feeling that ha got bored and started giving himself a thorough peeling.

And I truly like the base. All in all: Great job.

And regarding the gore effect. I use a colour called Clear red from the Tamiya line. If you mix that with a little black paint and some universal glue it becomes thick and sticky. Works perfectly. Have used it on some of the models in my Dreamer crew.

Edited by Balefirestorm
Advice added

What Balefirestorm said works well, although I would say (i) make sure and use PVA glue (and not, eg. superglue) and (ii) add some torn strips of tissue paper. The paint and glue soak into them, and they then set hard. They look amazingly like chunks of viscera.

To get blood splatters on his cleaver and on the ground, load your brush with some runny red paint or ink, hold it close to where you want the splatters, and then blow onto it with a straw. Practice on some paper first, of course, but the effects are excellent and very realistic.

Never heard the tissue before.......nice one.

I also like the 'blow the paint off the bristles' technique. Which is great for explosions of blood.

For a more arterial spray, start the same (watered down ink/paint on the brush)....hold the brush tightly in one hand about halfway down. Then place one finger on the ferule as close to the bristles as you can get and bend the brush back away from the model.....release. This flick creates more of a line of splatter....good for chopped off limbs and heads.

Just take a look at some real blood.....the internet is great for pics (don't go kill anyone just to see their blood :) ). Real blood out of the body can be pretty dark....especially from far away....which everything on a mini is.

Very cool article and looks pretty straight forward too - might have to order me some of that clear red. Probably can tidy up the base/add the rust effects whilst waiting for that to turn up. and get the rat painted that was going to add to the base.

I love the original take on Killjoy I rarely see that model around.

On the blood thing with the Tamiya red i recomend darken it slightly and not use it strait as from personal experience on my tots and young nef it dried really vibrant and when dulcoated over changed to an almost neon pink for some reason. that aside it is pone of the best things around for blood effects.