Best painting tutorials/tips/guides

LucidLovecraft

The Games Workshop "How to Paint Citadel Miniatures" isn't bad for a first purchase. It will give you more than enough information to get started (and even an introduction to the more advanced stuff). Though it is geared toward showcasing their paint line much of the information is relevant to any paintline.

I would tend to stay away from a lot of the other How to Paint DVD's and Books since most of them are more geared toward the painter that is looking to move beyond the basics. Not that they aren't great (I won several of them) just not for a begining painter.

Cheers TomBanjo, although I don't know how simple he was hoping for. My stuff assumes a bit of knowledge.

If people want, I'll try to write a really basic one, but there are some nice absolute basic ones around the place I think (I don't know where they are though!)

Mako,

I definitely recognize your tutorials aren't basic, which is why I called them next step. It is important to understand the basic how-to's when starting. Even if a beginner doesn't immediately apply your techniques (or others at a similar level) I would recommend your color theory one for starters (prompted me to buy a color wheel). It should be part of the basic beginner's awareness. I come from a scale modeling background where I learned to match real color + weathering +scale effects in my painting. This approach works for most models like armor, railroad, aviation etc. When you start to discuss color theory and light sources, staging and such, you begin to turn miniatures into a different sort of art. (before I get burnt: Not to say those factors can't be applied to the aformentioned disciplines). I think the real path to success that you see in this hobby involves seeing the miniature as a whole piece and applying some artistic principles. Master the basic model prep stages..solid assembly without seams, good priming to lay a solid foundation, but then some planing. Color theory makes a pleasing figure to look at (and a good start when painting a crew that looks related), then look at what the colors might be in 'real' life, within that color scheme (muted or bold, worn or fresh), then make them look like they are 3 dimensional colors with highlights and shadows, while magifing certain elements to tell your story. I've been doing this for a long time (even have a bunch of old Ral Partha figures I painted more than 30 years ago) and I'm still learning new approaches and just trying to make each figure a little better than the last.

Cheers,

Dvave

Absolutely, and after I posted I realised I'd missed the next step phrase so my bad on that! I wasn't correcting you, more asking exactly how simple the OP wanted the guide as it affects where he's best looking.

I for one like WAMP for a whole range of beginners to advanced advice, although in many ways just blabbing paint about is a good way to learn too!

I like From The Warp ( http://fromthewarp.blogspot.nl/ ) for their tutorials and insightful blogs about painting. Though the focus lies on GW models, I find it has useful stuff for my Malifaux as well.

Also Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic Youtube channel ( http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePaintingClinic ) has loads of good tutorials. There are quite a lot of Malifaux specific painting tuts there.

Also Googling when you have a specific problem, like painting blood splatters, helps a lot. There's loads of painting tutorials spread around the web.

Also Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic Youtube channel ( http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePaintingClinic ) has loads of good tutorials. There are quite a lot of Malifaux specific painting tuts there.

I like the website as well, he has some pretty neat techniques on there (one of my favorites was teh gems).

Also Googling when you have a specific problem, like painting blood splatters, helps a lot. There's loads of painting tutorials spread around the web.

Just be sure to also include "miniature" when you do this to narrow your searches a bit.