How young? Introducing Malifaux to kids

seiryu

I'm thinking about introducing my grandson to the game. He is coming to visit for a couple weeks during Christmas and I'm thinking of getting a couple crews and introducing him to it. I'm not concerned about the theme, more about the game mechanics. I noticed over on BGG that the recommended age is 14.

What age have you seen get into this style of game play? My grandson is 10. He really likes Catan and Munchkins and can handle those games. He also enjoys Pokemon.

ps. I'm new to Malifaux, don't even have my first crew yet, but I have played a demo game and am hooked.

My 9 year old son loves malifaux. The game mechanics posed no problem for him, and this was his first miniatures wargame. He is not always the fastest with the maths on adding up the card flips, but knowing about -vd and +ve flip, activation points, companion chains, etc. he's fine with and can handle himself against adult opponents.

I let him choose his own crew and faction and allow hi more models as incentives for behaviour/academic success rewards etc. He chose guild and LadyJ's crew to begin with, and is moving into a perdita crew. He's making his own model choices and thinking well about scheme strategy choices. He's got a long way to go with in-game tactics, but he's learnig well and enjoying himself.

My kids are 9,12, and 14 and all play Warmachine/Hordes. My 12 year old son plays Malifaux and takes his share of victories against adults. His first crew (his idea) was Collette (not the best master to start with) and he had no problems, his favorite is collodi. I might recommend one of the more straight forward crews for any new player (Lady J, Seamus-if you are ok with the afore mentioned zombie hookers, Victorias, Ophelia, Perdita...).

Good luck and have fun

• 2 weeks later...

I would say it depends on the child and how much parental control you can exercise when it comes to some of the stories and imagery.

I certainly wouldn't want my daughter reading my rulebooks till she was much much older (She's 4 now), but don't mind her sitting and watching me paint the models and even letting her paint a few bits herself.

Infact she loves playing on my terraclips board with her Sylvanian toys :D