Killjoy & leveticus???

Iron Heel

Are they also working to make Killjoy cost 11ss not the 12th one for Mercenary if Nicodem hires him?

Sure, he'd use up a Merc slot, but being undead, he shouldn't cost extra for Nicodem. Just like the beast Ama No Zako still uses up one of Marcus' Merc slots, but doesn't cost more than his standard 8ss. [Saw this part answered by Ratty on another thread.]

Undead Master doesn't remove the restriction of only being able to hire two out-of-faction models with the Mercenary characteristic. I had initially thought that Mercenary was sort of a hiring process, like you could hire those models "as a Mercenary" or "not as a Mercenary", but the rulebook is very clear: only two models with Mercenary from out of faction in your crew, the end.

It seems weird that you could in theory hire more than two out-of-faction Undead with Nicodem that weren't Mercenaries but only up to two Mercenary ones... but this whole game is a bit Wyrd, after all.

If the model is smart enough to charge mercenary rates for its services, and the master / henchman only has two job openings for mercenaries...It's an HR issue.

But, hiring VonSchill and his Freikorps instead, allows for more Freikorps specific merc slots, as VonSchill can vouch for them.

He can hire as many SPA as he wants but can only take 2 Undead Mercaneries? Doesn't seem right...

I read it as He can hire them "at no additional cost".

So it doesn't "cost" me a Merc Slot...

Personally I prefer taking as many SPAs as I can with Nico than with Levi.

Edited by i_was_like_you

But it doesn't make sense, in game or thematically......

I'm trying to wrap my head around the reason for it, but it just seems so illogical. But if Ratty said it then I guess it's law now.

Well sure, but what is the logical reason for any crew only being allowed to hire 2 mercs? It's an arbitrary rule (like most rules in miniature games)...

But it doesn't make sense, in game or thematically......

I'm trying to wrap my head around the reason for it, but it just seems so illogical. But if Ratty said it then I guess it's law now.

Well there is, SPA's are not intelligent, Nicodem controls them in the same way he controls the other undead, killjoy has a will of his and can say no to Nicodem

Well sure, but what is the logical reason for any crew only being allowed to hire 2 mercs? It's an arbitrary rule (like most rules in miniature games)...

The Mercenary rule seems to be a limitation to force players into more thematic crews, or else people would be fielding 4 desperate mercs and 3 ronin/Convict/10t Bros. It's basically to maintain the spirit of the game.

The Mercenary rule seems to be a limitation to force players into more thematic crews, or else people would be fielding 4 desperate mercs and 3 ronin/Convict/10t Bros. It's basically to maintain the spirit of the game.

Exactly - its arbitrary, because that's how Wyrd wanted the game to be - it doesn't really make any kind of fluff sense...

Nico can hire any undead model from out of faction without paying the out of faction cost, but he is still only capable of having 2 models with the merc characteristic from outside his own faction, because that is how the game rules are worded...

And people still can, if they go Outcasts (except for the 10t Bros. now). Viktoria can only hire mercs, so there had to be some kind of give and take there.