Commissions,..

Webmonkey

Just tossing a curiousity question out there for the masses,..

How many of you paint other peoples models for money? And for those of you who do,.. what's your going rate? And what quality work are you producing for the price?

As for me,.. I do take commissions. I produce what I would consider "middle to upper end" table-top quality work (not showcase quality) and I tend to charge $7.00 a fig.

I can do more "showcase quality" work,.. but that costs more.

So I was just curious,... what sort of prices do you guys charge? and what quality would you consider the work?

At my LGS the going rate seems to be model retail cost, if its a $20.00 model, its a $20.00 paint job.

I tend to find this to be the norm in most places. But it always seemed excessive to me.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

I do them more frequently than id like ( I can't say no to my favorite client) my man sized models usually go for 65-75. no complaints yet :).

$65-75??? for a man sized model? is this "showcase" quality?

I paint for free if its a mate! never thought of charging! if i quit my job then maybe i would do it as a money earner! but as i think my own stuff is average quality i wouldnt charge!

but would consider £10 a mini to be a nice round sum! 10 minis would earn £100 which sounds like a good deal to me!

But as i say for mates i would be happy to just have a cuppa and a good laugh! which is always a good reward!

It really depends on the quality for me. Most of the stuff i paint for commissions is just tabletop quality which I charge based on complexity of the model and quantity of models I'm painting. So typically $8 for small base, $10-12 for medium and $15-20 for a large base model with a small order (typical for skirmish games)

Whereas if I'm painting a full GW army the price fluctuates based on the models. Space Marines are easy so $3-$5 per model for troopers.

Ultimately it comes down to how much you time is worth, if you paint fast you can charge less and make up for it in quantity.

Currently I paint better than tabletop to display standard minis for around £10 for man sized figures as an estimate. This of course increases or decreases if you want bigger or smaller toys.

I do get many people groan at my prices, but being able to produce well painted models for people is a skill and many people I have encountered don't see it to be a skill worth much nowadays. At the end of the day all people want is everything for nothing.

I do however find myself helping many people out who can't quite afford it, with cheaper rates / swaps or whatever (someone has paid me in rum and gummy bears before :P )

I do this for a hobby for fun and not for a job... Which is why I never make any real money

I find that i don't have enough time to paint my own minis. if i ever got caught up, id just buy more.

however i have been asked numerous time to paint for some folks. I have always thought, how much $ would it take for me to spend my own time on someone else's models (when i have such a backlog and barely any time)?

Whatever the price. make sure it is worth your time.