Malifaux Doubles

Pagan Wolfe

Question

Alrighty then, I sometimes have the case where I have 4 people playing at once and although it is a ton of fun having so many strategies and schemes flying around I have been knocking around the idea of Malifaux Doubles. Different to a brawl with two masters this would be two players with two crews working together to achieve a common goal while blocking a similar two player / crew team.

I figure someone else out there is trying it or has tried it and we can pool ideas and results/problems 8-)

So, thoughts? (this is a random collection of ideas and questions, please pull it apart)

Terms:

Team - the two players working together to achieve more VP than the other team.

Crew - the models purchased by a player in the same manner as a regular game.

Player - an individual participating in this crazy game.

Schemes and strategies: How many of each? I was thinking of:

1 SHARED strategy for the whole game

1 Individual strategy for each team

1 Scheme per player

Obviously the scheme chosen by a player must be achieved by that player and refers to them their crew and their deployment area.

E.g.

This means that is you are trying to achieve a kill total your team mate may soften up the target but a member of your crew must deliver the killing blow (suddenly cheating down an attack flip and letting a model die NOW is much more tactical).

Crews: As always each player may take one Master/Henchman (or both) from a faction and buy models from that masters faction according to all rules and restrictions as usual.

Do we allow two players on the same team to choose different factions? I mean, in the fluff you sometimes have different factions teaming up for a valid reason...or is this going to be broken...maybe it just needs testing.

Either way unique names models are still one per team, regardless.

Deployment: Each player flips a card and then chooses a corner with highest picking first and lowest picking last (or being forced into a corner due to it being the last one). This is opposed to the team flipping a card and choosing a side. I like the corners because sometimes you end up split up diagonally and gives the team who won the flip more tactical choices about how they want to manipulate the game.

This obviously then uses corner deployment as in the Rules Manual.

Initiative: would be flipped as a team. Team with the highest card chooses which of their players will go first. The opposing team would then get to activate one player/model before going back to the team that won the initiative and ending with the last player from the team who lost the initiative.

So...initiative flip Team A Wins

Team A activates player 1

Team B activates player 1

Team A activates player 2

Team B activates player 2

Whoever is player 1 and player 2 on each team can change from turn to turn.

Activations: Obviously you would only be able to activate models from your crew NOT models from your TEAM (i.e. you cannot activate a model belonging to your team mates crew).

Interactions: This is where is gets squishy...do we allow models on the same team but from different crews to be friendly to each other (for the purpose of effects)? I think this would be a YES if the players have crews from the same faction...but it could get...messy...if we allow cross faction combos.

Ok, that's a start, by no means all done

Ready? Aim. FIRE!:slap:

6 answers to this question

Here in the U.S. (specifically in the state if Illinois) we started team tournaments in 2011. We scheduled a few at the local game stores to get prepped for Adepticon 2012.

It was very successful at Adepticon this year and I see this specific tournament growing in popularity each year.

This is a summary of how we handled the tournament. Nilus can post the pdf from the Adepticon tournament with the full official rules listed.

50 stone brawl format with each player spending 25 stones on a fixed list that is used through out the tourney. Each player has their own master. The masters/henchmen have to be brawl compatible.

We decided to keep the 8vp max format. We used shared strategies for a 4vp max and then each player picked one scheme for 4 more VP max per team. Your partner can help you accomplish the scheme you picked and vice versa.

Each player has their own fate deck. One player per team is selected at the beginning of the game to be the one to flip for initiative. If a soul stone is used to re-flip the initiative, that stone is used from the player’s soul stone pool that initially flipped the initiative. If that particular player runs out of stones at some point in the game then they will not be able to stone to re-flip later in the game, regardless if their partner has soul stones left in their pool.

The winning team then selects to activate 1st and 3rd while the losing team activates 2nd and 4th. We used playing cards 1-4 and passed the cards to each player so we always knew who was up next to activate in the round.

We deployed using the standard deployment, 6 inches from the edge of the board.

Team’s models are friendly to each other for the purposes of Talents.

If a player on a team gets knocked out, the other player on the team can activate a model if they choose for both turn activations.

Example;

Team 1 Player A has 1st activation

Team 2 Player A has 2nd activation

Team 1 Player B has 3rd activation

Team 2 Player B has 4th Activation

Team 2 player B loses his final model and is knocked out of the game. His partner Team 2 Player A can choose to activate a model during the 2nd and 4th activations. Provided he has enough models to do so. This prevents the opponent from double activating against one player.

If Team 2 runs out of models and Team 1 players have models yet to activate then they will be able to double activate against Team 2 at that point. Higher model count in this format is a plus.

These are the highlights. Nilus can post the pdf from Adepticon for the official rules of the team tournament.