Push vs walls/gaps and Criid rule question

ttsgosadow

Question

Yesterday I played my second Malifaux game. I had a Sonnia Criid Crew (standard starting crew) vs a Pandora crew with a Stitched added instead of the baby boy. We came across a few situations that we weren't sure hoe to resolve. Searching the forums and wiki hasn't yielded the answer, so I want to ask for clarification here.

First, Pandora has arule where she pushes 4" when she wins a Wp duel. There was a Sorrow attached to her. My opponent casted spells from Pandora to the Sorrow, pushing her across the board as thats faster then her own Wk.

Question 1: can you push yourself up a wall? From what I read in another thread it seems that you must move the height as well. So 2" to climb 2".

Question 2: is it possible to push oneself over a chasm. Or in this case, from one balcony to another with ~2" of open space (not floor) in between it.

Second I cast the flame vurst with Sonnia. Damn, that spell is lethal! The trigger says you can place the template 2" from the target.

Question 3: we had two ways of interpreting this trigger. Do you place the first template on the target, and the others witin 2" of eachother, or do you place the first template within 2" of the model, and the rest touchng another template?

Question 4: if that would turn out that the original target is no longer under the template, does he still take damage?

We had some other rulings sorter out fine with the rulebook. We still have a lot to learn :) thanks in advance for the answers.

5 answers to this question

1: You can push yourself up a wall if the wall has the characteristic 'climbable'. And then (unless you have Arachnid) I think it's 2" Walk to climb 1". You should agree with your opponent before the game witch terrain pieces are climbable. We (me and my friends) usually don't let walls be climbable...

2: I don't think so. You need to perform the action (2) Jump to jump over a chasm. Normally you just get pushed (falling) down from the balcony.

3: You place the first blast template up to 2" from the original target, and the following templates touching each other. And yes, that spell can be quite devastating =)

4: The original target is not affected at all by the Blast markers. It suffers the damage that was flipped, and then the Blast only damages other models.

Hope that helps.

And welcome to the game and community =)

Thanks for the insightful replies! Bet the game will go very different next time :)

We also happend to play the objective wrong. We had dual Destroy the Evidence, and only after the game it occured that you had to destroy the evidence in your opponent's deployment zone, not your own :D

Just to say

When Pandora casts a spell she wins a casting duel, not a willpower duel,

The sorrow loses a willpower duel as it has used its willpower stat, but Pandora did not win a willpower duel.

I had an additional question about this: if Pandora casts a spell which is resisted with Wp, doesn't she win a willpower duel? Willpower is involved in the duel, right? The way you're putting it, it seams that Pandora succeeds a Ca duel, while at the same time the opponent loses a Wp duel.

The stat Pandora uses is her Ca, so she wins a Casting Duel. Her opponent resists with Wp, so they lose a Willpower Duel and take the wound for Emotional Trauma.

Because Pandora won a Casting Duel, she doesn't get to use Fading Memory even though her opponent resisted with Wp.

In a Duel, the stat you use as attacker or defender determines what sort of duel you've won / lost, so for Pandora Pacify (or Incite) is a Wp duel that will give her the Push and inflict a wound, but Self Loathing (for example) is a Casting Duel and she won't get the Push, but her opponent will still lose a wound.

Cheers

Rob