A River Runs Thru It

Antiquitas

Even though I still have loads of unfinished projects I was inspired last week to start a set of boards (hopefully) to be ready for a NWG (North Wexford Gamers) Competition that Tograth is running on 31st August.

The inspiration came from a Lidl's grass mat purchased off of a Skibbereen player Cian.

IMG_3252.JPG

We need another 3 or 4 boards for the competition so I thought I would try a linked series: Boglands - Riverside settlement - Druid's Island - Ten Thunders Town, with probably more added in later.

So planning started Tuesday Evening (31st July) with a few sketches, some heavy duty glue and a 'suck it and see attitude'.

CCF08082012_00000.jpg

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3192.JPG

More later...

Edited by Antiquitas
Attempting the removal of unwanted attachments

So, I called over to Chris this weekend just past to hang out and either do some terrain making or some gaming.

I started out helping to make some hedges etc, and then I got bit by the bug: I decided to make a 10 thunders board.

So, While Chris does the boglands boards, I'm working on a 10T board to join in with them. The layout of the boglands boards is such that they are interchangeable - each board section can pretty much align to either edge of one of the others. It was with this in mind that Chris and I sketched out the layout for the 10T board (i tell a lie - I spat out a few ideas and Chris massaged them into a workable board layout :D).

Anyway, I decided to start out with a centrepiece for the board - a Pagoda.

So, I started out by layout out an octagonal design for the building. It's going to be 3 stories, with a roof on each section, as well as a balcony area on the second and third floors.

Next, I cut the floors to size, and drilled holes for each set of pillars. The floors are made of 6mm ply, while the pillars are 9mm dowel rods cut to size.

[picture here]

Next, I drew the wall designs, Chris cut them out, and I fitted them to the structure and glued them in place.

IMG_20120805_180327.jpg

I also started the layout for the stairs, by putting in 8mm by 2 mm pillars in place to support the stair platform:

IMG_20120805_180339.jpg

a progress shot with the floors cut and some of the walls put in place:

IMG_20120805_010613.jpg

Next, I built the stairs. These were made using doctors tongue presser sticks and the material used for the pillars as a support. The steps themselves were cut to size and belt sanded to give the edges I wanted.

IMG_20120805_180401.jpg

Next, I nailed (and glued) the pillars down, as well as the stair platform and the first stair section.

It was at this point that I realised that I had forgotten to put the flooring down first. Doh.

So, thus began a time consuming project to put down floorboards throughout.

progress shot!

IMG_20120805_213446.jpg

I finished the floorboards, put beading around the edges, and built the second staircase section.

IMG_20120806_014421.jpg

IMG_20120806_014428.jpg

IMG_20120806_014446.jpg

In addition to the above, I clad the stair platform, cut the hole in the second level for the stairs, and cut and glued the pillars for the second and third floors and steeple.

This saturday I'm headed down again, so I'll be working towards getting a bit more done :D

Edited by Tograth

Hi mate

Off the scene for a while with work and health so i have a lot of catching up to do....

Good to be back!

Cheers

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

The grass mat from Lidls is very effective and looks like static grass. The only problem is that the underside has raised 'bobbles' so it is difficult to glue properly.

I tried a powerful Evostick 528, which we use at work, and smothered the edges but it is still riding up in places.

This doesn't matter in the board area as the 'raised' edges are being sealed with 'No More Nails' into which is pushed stones and flock.

The sides of the boards will need a bit of TLC later.

Footpaths were literally ground into the mat using a sanding disc on an angle grinder!

The river and bogs are just going to be painted and varnished.

The four main river board sections ( two 3ft x 18 inch boards per table) have been designed in a 'circular' manner so that one end can be fitted onto the far end - giving four table options.

The 10T board that my 'apprentice' Mike wants done fits on the end of the river boards and is an estuary/ sea port town.

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

The plan is to have a 10T warehouse that the boats would go inside to unload - so no-one can see the contraband cargoes - balconies inside and outside and a flat roof give plenty of gaming space.

Warehouse Dock.jpg

The river estuary is over shadowed by a fortified tower, and the town is protected by walls and gates.

Behind the docks is the trading area - small stores, houses and sheds - giving narrow alleyways and rooftop 'hopping'.

The centre piece of the board is of course Mike's three storey Pagoda that dominates the whole series of boards!

Mike has taken to the terrain building like a fish to water, knows what he wants, and finds a way of doing it...

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3230.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

Looking forward to this weekend when he is back for more...

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

The Wharf

The village of Malice is a river trading post.

The centre point is a wharf with a boat tied up and cargo unloaded and timber stacks and smoked fish ready to go.

The jetties are made from coffee stirrer sticks, textured by firmly running them across the teeth of a craft saw, and PVA'd onto 4mm ply.

The whole thing was then coloured using Teak wood stain. Mooring rings were added to the pillars and coils of rope laid about.

There is a dam to hold back the water and stop the town from flooding.

IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

The boat is a Revell 1:50 Viking Ship, which cost me £13.99 a few years ago.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

The Smokehouse

One of the village's produce is smoked fish.

The fish are hung on racks in the shed and a fire is lit in the tunnel. Leather curtains are drawn across the front to seal it up. The chimney is half way down the side of the hut so that the upper area is always smokey.

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

I still have to finish the base and hang some nets over the drying pole.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

The 'Dropbridge'

I wanted a way to put a bridge across the river without it stopping the boats from reaching Malice. The solution was a bridge that could be raised or lowered but it had to be low-tech and 'made' on site.

This was the idea sketch I finally came up with:

CCF08082012_00000.jpg

I used teak strips, coffee stirrers, candy-floss sticks, placemat sticks, cocktail sticks and a bit of a twig...

IMG_3227.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

The whole thing was coloured with (as usual) Teak woodstain.

IMG_3254.JPG

IMG_3255.JPG

I still need to finish the base and put on the pull-ropes.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

The Saw Mill

Other than mercenary work, digging for soulstones and waylaying unwary travellers, the main source of income for the village of Malice is cutting and preparing timber.

As Malice is on the river it made sense to power the sawmill by water...

CCF08082012_00000.jpg

The mill was made from 4mm ply and coffee stirrers.

IMG_3219.JPG

The 'stone wall' was done with an angle grinder into the ply.

IMG_3222.JPG

The watermill was made from ply, tongue depressor sticks, candyfloss sticks and a few washers.

IMG_3223.JPG

A mill race and sluice gate was made to support the wheel.

IMG_3228.JPG

The building comes apart to play on different levels.

IMG_3256.JPG

I still have to make the flywheel, pulleys and saw bench but this is it so far:

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3257.JPG

IMG_3261.JPG

Of course there has to be some felled trees as well!

IMG_3262.JPG

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

The Smithy

The Smith is an important man in any village.

This one is not adverse to helping a passing Arcanist cobble up a few helpers, or doing an upgrade on a Lazurus...if they can pay.

The ridge timber will have a pulley block and rope to lift those heavy items and there is a coke bunker on one side for fuelling the forge.

IMG_3220.JPG

I have to make the forge, anvil and tool racks and when I buy a Lazurus I can pile up some spares in the corner!

The base and roof need doing as well...

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

Druid's Island

Mysterious things have happened in these parts in the distant past - mysterious things are still happening today...

I wanted to put in a Henge of stones as I have fond memories of clambering around Stonehenge on Salisbury Plain in my youth.

The stones are made from high density expanded polystyrene, painted with black masonry paint and coloured in blues and greys.

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_3234.JPG

The bases will be flocked and have a few bushes and trees added.

Well that's all for now... Next update will be after the weekend when Mike will be adding details and a floor or two to his Pagoda!

I spot some nice wagons in some of the pics, are they home-made? If so, any chance of some close-up shots and/or tips on how to make them?

Thanks Grifonetto,

The Guild's 'Paddy wagon' was made last year from a 'Days Gone' horse drawn bus.

IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_2977.JPG

With a bit of major hacking!

IMG_1529.JPG

The Neverborn 'Collection Wagon' was made the night before a competition in Skiberrean at the end of last month. It was a bit rushed as it was 3 am when I started it! It needs a bit of redecorating sometime.

The idea came from the Terry Pratchet movie Hogfather:

vlcsnap-2011-04-15-22h27m06s178.jpg

I used a Days Gone wagon again

IMG_2981.JPG

but I wanted it more Neverborn so I made a Pegasus, using a Mature Nephilim's wings and an old metal horse, to pull it through the air.

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

I have plans to make up a set of one for each Faction, but that is another project in progress.

I hope this helps, cheers.

Pagoda Updates:

So, I headed back out to Chris yesterday and got a bit more done on the pagoda. The ground floor interior is now complete, with the exception of windows sills and framing, and painting the tops of the walls.

The roof of the third floor is also complete. This was the hardest of the three roof sections, as it comprised of two separate slopes, and has the steepest angles of any of the roof sections.

IMG_20120812_012849.jpg

IMG_20120812_012840.jpg

on the ground floor, the outer walls were clad using coffee stirrer sticks that were dyed blue with watered down cote d'arms blue ink, as were the internal pillars. The inner walls were then wallpapered using a light orange / peach paper. These were cut to size and woodglued on. The images are taken from artwork from the game Bushido (www.bushido-thegame.com) and were taken either form the wallpapers available, or from the deviantart profile of the original artist (dinmonkey).

I took the pictures, trimmed them oval and feathered the edges to give the effect seen.

IMG_20120812_012907.jpg

IMG_20120812_012920.jpg

IMG_20120812_012929.jpg

one thing that isnt shown is the washers. To base the inner pillars (and to hide the edges of the floorboards where they abut the pillars), I used 1 mm thick washers, with a 9mm inner diameter. These were sprayed using the halfords Red Oxide primer, and then simply wood glued and slipped down the pillars.

The final thing that was done was preparing the second and third floors: the hole for the ladder up to the third floor was cut, and the exterior pillars for the second floor were laid out and glued. To keep the height correct in the holes for the pillars, the top of the ground floor internal pillars was coated in petroleum jelly to prevent the PVA sticking. This was required as the inner pillars match up to the same holes in order to align the second floor correctly.

Still to do:

- make a ladder, or convert an existing ladder by adding a ladder pedestal.

- floorboard the second and third floors

- add roof sections to second and third floors

- add balconies to second and third floors

- wall second floor, and wallpaper interior (and clad exterior)

- put in steps on second and third floors up to the balconies

- build bell /gong section for third floor

- cobblestone the exterior of the ground floor.

10 T Warehouse Dock

Working on the 10T's warehouse this weekend.

The idea was the 10T's wouldn't want prying eyes seeing 'contraband' cargoes so the boats are brought inside the warehouse to be unloaded, and bamboo hanging door can be closed once it is in.

There are stone sea walls around the base, and the warehouse and docks are built off them.

IMG_3270.JPG

An office in the corner has views seawards and into the warehouse and is only accessible to 30mm bases. A small door leads to a jetty at the front and stairs up to a balcony and an access to the first floor area.

IMG_3274.JPG

The main entrance to the warehouse is at ground level protected from the water by stone walls and has a big timber frame round it.

IMG_3272.JPG

IMG_3283.JPG

The walls were lightly sprayed (inside) and the timber stained.

IMG_3285.JPG

The inside and outside balconies and the first floor walls are all one a removable floor section.

IMG_3280.JPG

The flat roof will also be removable and will have a small gambling room in the corner, but that's another days work...

Yeah, so Chris is actually a wizard. It's the only explanation for how he managed to build a door opening mechanism into the warehouse without using any motors or anything.

Basically, if you press down repeatedly on the floor to the left of the door, the door closes itself slowly.

Just a quick update on tonight's progress on the warehouse...

Made the first floor section with it's balconies and laid down the floor boards. Unfortunately, half way through my box of 1000 coffee stirrers came to an end and the new box I ordered is a completely different size (2/3rds the width!), so I had to hunt round for any odds and end of the old style and mix and match them in. Luckily there were enough scraps that Mike and I had fired around the room (unintentionally - sometimes - while trimming them to size) to make it worthwhile. I will have to try and order a box of the original size tomorrow.

IMG_3288.JPG

I have cut out some doors and windows and edged them and made sign for the front.

IMG_3291.JPG

Finally for tonight I did a bit of detailing and staining.

IMG_3294.JPG

IMG_3293.JPG

IMG_3292.JPG

Tomorrow night, hopefully, I will get the railings done and start on the roof section and the gambling den...

10T Warehouse - nearly ready for business!

Ten Thunders are opening the doors to their warehouse - even if it still hasn't got a roof yet. Von Schill etc are checking it out as my 10T's only received their orders today.

IMG_3305.JPG

IMG_3304.JPG

Who's been eating my noodles?

IMG_3298.JPG

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

IMG_3299.JPG

That's it for tonight as I want to start cutting out the roof sections.

Thanks