Decmeber Acolyte and Forum Errata (above) questions

GrottoKnight

Question

Just getting back into Malifaux after kids and house stuff has pulled me for some times.....

Need some "here's you answer dummy" responses.....

Does anyone understand this?

•Spells with the gun icon take the modifier for cover, ranged attacks, Casting Flips and spells, never Attack Flips

Since there is a comma and not a period after "ranged attacks" it seems that they are speaking only about gun icon attacks in reference to the things that followed in the sentance. I don't get this.....help ?

Also.....tell me what this means.....

"This model may not be targeted by Charge or ranged attacks (Grotto-no icon) until it takes an Action other than Pass."

Does this mean anything with a gun icon OR anything with a Rg/Range listed in the attack OR does it cover both?

The intention of the ability (December Acolyte) is to allow advancedeploy of 12" without getting smoked on turn1/immediately.

Thanks guys!

Edited by GrottoKnight

4 answers to this question

Just getting back into Malifaux after kids and house stuff has pulled me for some times.....

Need some "here's you answer dummy" responses.....

Does anyone understand this?

•Spells with the gun icon take the modifier for cover, ranged attacks, Casting Flips and spells, never Attack Flips

Since there is a comma and not a period after "ranged attacks" it seems that they are speaking only about gun icon attacks in reference to the things that followed in the sentance. I don't get this.....help ?

This is basically saying that spell with the :ranged icon, suffers from modifiers from the target being in cover like a :ranged Strike . But that Casting Flips and spells do not ever make Attack Flips. The they make flips while attacking, but not Attack Flips. Only strikes generate Attack Flips.

Also.....tell me what this means.....

"This model may not be targeted by Charge or ranged attacks (Grotto-no icon) until it takes an Action other than Pass."

Does this mean anything with a gun icon OR anything with a Rg/Range listed in the attack OR does it cover both?

The intention of the ability (December Acolyte) is to allow advancedeploy of 12" without getting smoked on turn1/immediately.

Thanks guys!

I'm pretty sure this means any attack with a range and any Charge. And yes, I believe it is to avoid being 'smoked' as soon as the game begins...

Ausplosions has the right of the first part for sure.

to explain a little bit more though, casting a spell is a simple duels vice an opposed duels.

When performing a cast action (with or with out a resist) you have to hit a target number (and any suit requirements and/ or additional requirements) in order to succeed (cheating and/or soul stoning at that time). The targetted model (if there is a resist) then has to flip higher than that number to avoid the result of the successfully cast spell (cheating and/ or soulstoning at that time). In each case it is a simple duel for both (simple duel = set target number) and at no time do they flip against each other.

In contrast opposed duels like :melee or :ranged strikes are a stat versus a stat with both players flipping and cheating and/or soulstoning at the same time against each other (instead of a set target number).

Reference materials for this are found in the Rules Manual pages 26-29 & 51-54 or the new 1.5 book pages 28-29 & 46-48 (the former pages for both talk about simple and opposed duels while the latter talk about casts).

Edited by Omenbringer

I'm pretty sure this means any attack with a range and any Charge. And yes, I believe it is to avoid being 'smoked' as soon as the game begins...

Actually I'm pretty sure that a ranged attack is indicated by the :ranged icon, and has nothing to do with the Range statistic.