Damage vs. Wounds

Antalope

Question

9 answers to this question

IIRC Damage is the 'points' incoming, pre-adjustment (ie. armor, spirit, etc). Wounds are the actually applied 'points'. Also a model can't inflict wounds to itself (through talents) if it would take them to 0 wounds, but they can inflict damage.

That being said, take this with a grain of salt, I don't have my rule book with me so am going from memory and its still kind of early in the morning. I will double check as soon as I can.

Damage and wounds are a bit complicated, really. For starters, there's a difference between Dg (such as from a weapon) and damage.

When you attack a model, you will usually flip for Dg. The Dg you flip is then reduced by Armor, Spirit and so on, converted to Wd, and applied to the model (reducing its Wd total). The number of Wd you inflict on the model after any reductions is the amount of damage inflicted by the attack. Note that some attacks inflict Dg that ignores Armor, and some are magical and therefore ignore Spirit.

Some attacks will instead deal a number of Wd (usually a flat number rather than a flip). This is simply applied directly to the model's Wd total - no reductions for Armor, Spirit, or anything else (except Object and Damage Prevention flips). This is very similar to a magical attack that deals Dg which ignores Armor, but there may be subtle differences in peculiar edge cases.

Hope that makes sense!

Man, you guys are fast and good. Thanks. That is how I was reading it. So in the case of Black blood rule which I believe states (don't have it in front of me) when a wound is taken all non-neverborn take a wound. Since it states wound and not damage any armored models like the Friekorps still take a wound. Thanks again Guys!

Think of it as a flow chart that starts when a model takes damage

Dmg -> reduced by armor, spirit, etc(minimum 1) -> Wds -> reduced by Object and soul stone heal -> number subtracted from Models Wound total

When a model takes Wds, it just just skips the first step of the process. (IE no armor, or spirit reduction).

The only other difference is models may apply damage to themselves and die but they can never perform an action that applies wds if it would kill them(unless an ability on the cards says they can specifically)

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Man, you guys are fast and good. Thanks. That is how I was reading it. So in the case of Black blood rule which I believe states (don't have it in front of me) when a wound is taken all non-neverborn take a wound. Since it states wound and not damage any armored models like the Friekorps still take a wound. Thanks again Guys!

Well no, but not because of the dmg vs wds. Friekorp armor make them immune to pulses, which Black blood is.