Measuring distances

snord

Question

Quick question I could not find an answer for:

When declaring a target for a ranged attack, do you measure the distance to the target, or do you measure the distance up to the range oF the weapon?

For instance, imagine Von schill with his weapon of range 12" declares an attack against an enemy model and that model is 14" away, but you don't know that. What is the correct procedure?

1. Measure the distance from VS to the target, finds out that it is 14" and so the attack fails.

or

2. Measure 12" from VS, find that it is not enough to reach the target and so the attack fails.

In other words, can you use ranged attacks to measure the distance between models, even if they are out of range?

Edited by snord

8 answers to this question

Or play on Terraclips which (despite having doors which are ingeniously too small for bases to fit through) have 1" markings on them. A little bit of trigonometry goes a LONG way then :)

Interestingly enough the rules about models not being capable of crossing passages too narrow for their base to fit have disappeared roughly around the time when Terraclips have been announced. :P I think they are still in place for indoor locations though (not playing any of those, so not sure).

It's a global conspiracy!

I always play it measure to target or range of weapon/effect, which ever comes first.

Seem fair to me.

Guessing the range/distances is one of the fun elements I enjoy. Takes me back to the first set of wargame rules I owned where artillery fired at the range you had guessed. Happy days :-)