A noob and Hamelin the plagued, a bunch of questions

DeleteAccount

Question

I played vs HAmelin for the first time yesterday and a lot of questions popped up in my head. So here I am to get a rundown about what it what.

1 How does the malifaux rat's flock rule work exactly? Does a rat activate and all rats 4" from that one activate in one block and only those 4" from the first rat or do the next rats activating after the first one also trigger flock?

2 Can a malifaux's rat's Writhing Mass cause it to kill itself?

3 How does Hamelin's the Void work exactly when picking a card from the discard pile? I mean, he cheats a 10 and I cheat a 12, does he pick up the 10 or would his choice be the card before the duel even began?

4 Do blight tokens do 1 extra damage per blight token on the model or just 1 more no matter how many blight tokens?

And I think for now that covers it. Thanks a lot.

12 answers to this question

1) Any rat that's within 4" of an activating rat also activates at the same time. You could have a string of rats that covered the length of the board, and they would all activate together as long as no two rats were more than 4" from each other.

2) Abilities which cause wounds cannot be used if they would kill the model, unless they explicitly allow it. Writhing Mass does not.

3) Keep the cards that are part of the current duel to one side, separate from your discard pile. If your opponent cheats, draw from the discard pile. Once the duel is completely resolved, move the cards from the duel onto the discard pile.

4) Just 1 extra damage regardless of the number of Blight tokens.

Thanks a lot for the answers. I will add an extra couple of follow up questions

If a bunch of rats activate, and one kills another, does the new rat also activate or since it wasn't present when the "first activation" happened, it is out of the loop?

Can a killed model inside a ratcatcher or Hamelin's rat aura also generate a seshin?

If I do a damage reduction flip when I have a blight token, would the reduction also include the blight token damage or is it independant?

Again, thanks for the help and sorry for the constant fusilade.

The new rat would not be included in the Flock chain. It would have to be present and in range when the activation started.

The Seishin is placed, but Voracious Rats prevents summoning. Since the Seishin is not being summoned, I'd think a new Seishin would be placed.

I think you would include the damage from the blight token. I believe blight damage is included in the damage before it is applied.

Specifically to your final question.

Blight Token: When a model with 1 or more Blight Tokens suffers Wd, it suffers 1 additional Wd.

In explanation,

Damage Reduction reduces incoming Dg, the remaing Dg of which is converted to Wd, which are then applied to the Model.

As such,

Malifaux Rat is affected by Nix's (0)Unconscious Behavior, and makes a melee Strike against Lady Justice, who has 1 Blight Token.

Lady Justice suffers 3 Dg from the Malifaux Rat.

Lady Just discards a Soul Stone on a Damage Mitigation Flip.

Lady Justice flips a 6, for a moderate Reduction.

-2 Dg is removed from the Total Dg suffered of 3 Dg.

Lady Justice has 1 Dg remaining, which is converted to 1 Wd.

Since Lady Justice suffered 1 Wd and has a Blight Token, Lady Justice suffers an additional Wd, for a total of 2 Wd dealt.

I really hate to tell you your wrong (as you invented everything about playing Hamelin and without you I'd never have won the UK Masters with him) but Damage Reduction flips prevent wounds, not damage.

Also, we've always played it (including against Ratty) that you suffer the initial wounds first (as it says "suffers") and THEN you do the extra wound form the blight counter. Not fun for you if you have Hard to Kill :)

For the record, everything else in this thread is correct *wink*

I really hate to tell you your wrong (as you invented everything about playing Hamelin and without you I'd never have won the UK Masters with him) but Damage Reduction flips prevent wounds, not damage.

Also, we've always played it (including against Ratty) that you suffer the initial wounds first (as it says "suffers") and THEN you do the extra wound form the blight counter. Not fun for you if you have Hard to Kill :)

For the record, everything else in this thread is correct *wink*

I don't understand the negativity towards me, but okay.

My specific method statement was incorrect (Oh, semantics), but ultimately I'm still right, as well as the fact that you didn't disagree with what I said, you just reiterated it in a different manner.

If you do not remove any amount of incoming Dg/Wd, you suffer an additional Wd.

Therefore the only way to prevent the Blight counter Wd is by reducing the rest of the incoming damage to 0.

The new rat would activate if another rat is within 4 inches and activating later in the chain.

RatA -4 inches -RatB -4 inches-RatC- 4 inches-ratd

Activate ratb, does whatever (ratc and rata can activate afterward)

Rata kills ratb, new ratb placed

Ratc activates and triggers the activation on the new ratb as long as its in 4 inches still as well as ratd

Edited by VBGames

The new rat would activate if another rat is within 4 inches and activating later in the chain.

RatA -4 inches -RatB -4 inches-RatC- 4 inches-ratd

Activate ratb, does whatever (ratc and rata can activate afterward)

Rata kills ratb, new ratb placed

Ratc activates and triggers the activation on the new ratb as long as its in 4 inches still as well as ratd

No, I don't think that is correct. Rats effectively have a Companion chain, which means that they activate simultaneously. Obviously their APs are resolved in turn, but their activation occurs at the same moment, and new rats introduced will not be activated.