Can't get my head around dreamer sling shot

birdbath

I am new to the dreamer and I can't get my head around the new yoyo/slingshot method. TBH I never played dreamer before the change so I am a bit green.

I got this from pull my finger but I am still in the dark about the whole thing. If anyone knows of maybe another resource or maybe the best thing would be a youtube vid that would be a very good step forward. Maybe I am a bit thick!

This is what I found on pullmyfinger:

1) Dreamer and a Day Dream that is 2 - 6" upfield (towards target) of him and another Day Dream within 6" of him with Companion.

===Dreamer uses I Can Fly! (0)

===Dreamer Walks once (1) +7"

===Dreamer Walks second time (1) +7"

===Dreamer uses Nightmare Friend Approx +2"

2) LCB Activates

===LCB Walks once (1) +4"

===LCB uses Melee Expert to strike with Claws +3"

3) Companion Day Dream Activates

=== Walks once (1) -6"

=== Walks second time (1) -6"

=== Uses Calm Nightmares (0) -6"

4) Day Dream 2 Activates

=== Walks once to a safe position (1)

=== Uses Call Nightmares (1 + sac DD), places LCB 6" away and hopefully safe.

EDIT: I have the first 2 steps down... they are fine its just getting him back to safety is the issue I can't get right

Edited by birdbath

so the calm nightmares buries chompy and brings dreamer up next to where he was instead. now since chompy is a buried master nightmare, you can sacrifice the daydream thats safe to bring him back into play, which buries dreamer and summons chompy. Not sure if this helps clarify, is there something specific that you have a question about on it?

Edited by Dreygan
inaccurate wording

Im guessing that you need to practice your placement of day dreams. safe needs to be within 6 inches of the second daydream, the one that gets sacrificed. or even safe for one turn and then using lead nightmare to move LCB up to 8.

maybe set up the board, and practice placement of all the models. Updating LCB's slingshot made it slightly harder, but I find that I haven't had to slingshot to do well with him, may be my opponent's lack of experience with dealing with him.

You've companioned two Daydreams. Once Chompy is done chomping, one of the Daydreams (the closest to him) gets close enough to Chompy to use (0) Calm Nightmares to replace him with the Dreamer. The second Daydream then activates and can sacrifice itself to bring Chompy out again, far away from where he was a second ago. The issue is that you have very tall Monstrosity trying to stand behind cover, but at least he's far away from people who can retaliate.

Slingshot is really a misnomer, yo-yo or bounce is better.

The second one has to have been in range to companion with The Dreamer at the start, which means 6" + the distance moved by Dreamer/LCB.

The manoeuvre is only worth it if the Daydream is behind cover that would protect LCB from shooting, or if he's getting close to something that will kill it if he stays there too long.

The daydream does not have the range to bury chompy if he moves more than 2"as the daydream double walk + calm nightmare is 18" range, and dreamer double walk + chompys base + walk is 20" or near as makes no difference. then as said the last daydream to activate just needs to sac its self somewhere behind a big building or something to hide him, or out of range of the guns in the crew if he cant hide. But if your trying this, then just watch the extra movment you make with LCB so he does not go to far :)

i will add that personally i dont really use this anymore... i have been getting in the habit of running dreamer up to about mid field... dumping all his mean dudes who hurt pretty decently anyway, then second turn i can get dreamer/chompy about 9 inches plus reach distance, which is still fairly surprising but easier to then bury and get dreamer sitting next to a stitched at the end to keep my master safer. Not necessarily the best way to go but it hurt collette pretty bad so i was happy

Can you still use this anymore?

I don't play Dreamer / LCB or any model that uses Bury, but didn't the recent Bury errata limit the ability to bury/unbury in the same turn?

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?30054-BURY-ERRATA-Yes-BURY-Errata&highlight=bury+errata

This seems to be the response to the errata on the wiki

http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/DreamerErrataWalkthrough

Edited by Serigala

it is still possible but it requires a different perspective. That is what I am having the problem with.

Back on track: can a daydream use 'call nightmare' to unbury LCB if dreamer is on the borad? This I would expect in turn would bury the dreamer. Am I correct?

I don't play Dreamer / LCB or any model that uses Bury, but didn't the recent Bury errata limit the ability to bury/unbury in the same turn?

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?30054-BURY-ERRATA-Yes-BURY-Errata&highlight=bury+errata

Yes it can still be done, but it is far less long reaching. I think you used to have a threat range of 23" with 2 attacks or 27" with one attack, and if you have a 3+ of masks and any 6 in your hand can safely retreat back to your deployment zone.

Now, you can go upto 19" with 2 attacks or 21" with 1 attack, and can still be returned to your deployment. But it requires sacrificing a daydream now instead of 2 easy cards, so you feel the cost. Or you can hit with one strike at upto 23" (depending on triggers, and ofc this is with the 3" for the claws taken into account) with out being able to return as far as i can see at least.

it is still possible but it requires a different perspective. That is what I am having the problem with.

Back on track: can a daydream use 'call nightmare' to unbury LCB if dreamer is on the borad? This I would expect in turn would bury the dreamer. Am I correct?

yes you can, and yes it would.

The bury errata made it so that you couldn't companion the Dreamer, then bury and unbury him, without forfeiting his activation. What it effectively means, as Ozz says, is that the range on the slingshot/yo-yo is shorter.

Yep!

In a game last week I flew the dreamer 14", brought in chompy, moved him 4" forward and struck with my melee expert attack. I had a handful of rams and managed to onslaught enough to kill niño Ortega. I then moved a daydream up to within 12" and used lead nightmare to push chompy 4", then did it again with a second nightmare and then a 3rd time with another nightmare - who then also used his 0 action to turn chompy back into the dreamer right next to the daydreams where he could be protected.

I didn't have to sacrifice anything this way :)