Triggers triggering triggers

Hjelmen

Question

So there is quite a discussion going in my (local) meta, and I really need a Marshall to chime in on this issue. Other opinions are naturally valid and desirable, but I have found several threads on this subject where people have stated as something as the correct way to play this, but no Marshalls. And I have a feeling that one is needed, since the contention stems from "but a Marshall posted this once, and I can't find the post!"

Alright, so the issue is the seemingly simple one of:

Can a free action granted by a trigger, such as Onslaught, trigger the same trigger again? I.e. is it possible to continue making attacks from, for example, Onslaught, as long as you can trigger it again on each attack?

My understanding is that the answer is yes, but a lot of people seem to have been told at some point by a Marshal that it is no. From my reading of the rules and all the threads I could find on the subject, I end up at yes every time; The action granted by the trigger is a brand new strike/cast, which will behave just like any other strike/cast that one had spent AP on.

Help me Obi Wan Marshalls! You're my only hope! *grin*

Keywords: Onslaught Whirlwind Overpower Trigger Happy

12 answers to this question

You can only do one trigger per duel, but if the trigger causes another duel, that duel get its own trigger as well. There's is nothing in the rules (and I just scanned the Rules Manual) that says you can't have the same trigger over and over again.

It's not just the Ortegas who get scary with Trigger Happy. The Viktorias and Whirlwind is equally devastating as long as they have a new target to swing into (since Whirlwind states it must be a different target each time). I've built up a hand full of Masks to utterly destroy an opponent in one AP before, as he generously set himself up to let me trigger Whirlwind 4 or 5 times in a row... which is how many Masks I happened to have saved up carefully in the two turns we spent approaching each other.

The whole thing is, you're not actually triggering off a trigger, you're triggering off a duel.

What the trigger does (in the cases of Onslaught and Trigger Happy), is give you a new strike. There's nothing special about this strike, it's just as any other strike that model can make. And on strikes, you can trigger that trigger if you get the correct suit.

There is absolutely nothing that makes these triggered strikes any different from another strike, except that they don't cost APs to make, since they are awarded by the trigger.

(Also note, that these extra strikes are not 'Strike Actions'. Only the first (1) Strike is the action, the others are strikes, but not actions. Same as a (2) Charge generates a strike, but is a Charge-action rather than a Strike-action. Makes a difference around models like the Alps.)

+1 to all above, the trigger generates an extra strike with only 1 additional rule to it(compared to a normal strike action): It must be against the same target (with the exception of whirlwind) other than that you start the duel as if nothing else has happened.

For onslaught, whirlwind and trigger happy if you flip the black joker and deal "No Damage" then will the chain end or will it continue because the card says "After Damage defender..." will it resolve in step 6 or an earlier step of the Damage Resolution chart?

I believe Ratty ruled on this in post http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?24756-On-damage-triggers-and-wound-prevention&highlight=black+joker+trigger

that it will stop because there was no damage and since it is a damage effect it is null. I may be answering my own question, but i'd like to hear your opinions so i can get off the fence.

Besides flipping the black Joker on damage as mentioned above as one way to stop after damage trigger effects, a soul stone user discarding a soul stone to do a wound prevention flip (4c in the damage resolution table) can also break the chain. If the healing flip prevents all wounds then the trigger does not activate. Triggers that activate after damaging occur during 5a(i) of the damage resolution table.

This is explained in the Errata/Clarifications section of the forum.