New to Malifaux...collecting one of band of every faction...what to choose?

Primarch

Hey all. I recently, like Saturday, started playing this game. So far, I really like it. I have picked up a Collette box, and an Ophelia box so far. I played them both, and had a lot of fun with them. I like the game mechanics so far, and am excited to get more games in, possibly a tournament in the future at some point. 3 games in is too early, and I have a LOT more to learn.

My question for you, is what band of Rezzers would you recommend for a starter like me? I like the "theme" for Seamus, but we have 2-3 other folks playing him, so I figured that was enough. I think we have one guy picking up McMourning, so that may be out as well.

What I like so far, is that my 2 bands fight so differently, that will keep things kinda fresh. I'd like it if whatever I choose here could also be different.

So I have a mostly shooty band, and a hit and run style band...looking for some grind it out tanking style something or other maybe? I really don't know much so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Clay

With ranged and hit-and-run styles well covered, you might as well try some melee. If you want to stick to your two current Factions (and there are good reasons to do so) then:

Ramos is a very melee-oriented crew, although he is not a melee-Master (at all!). Ramos Avatar, on the other hand, can administer a stern walloping.

Pig-based Gremlin crews are all about Pig Charges, and will give you some extra mileage out your Ophelia crew. Gremlin crews, even pig ones, are still quite model-heavy.

Viktorias. Not every problem can be solved by violence, but they can be killed by violence, and killed is not a million miles from solved.

Out of Faction you would be looking at Lilith or Lady J. I don't have either of those, but they are both lots of in-your-face fun involving sharp sticks with attractive ladies at the other end.

Doh!

I am not a Resser player. Ressers do not do ranged attacks, generally, so most of them are close-range crews. That doesn't make them melee-powerhouse crews, although Doug McMourning seems to have the best summoning options for large, beatstick models. Best if someone else picks this query up, I think :)

Nicodem actually has a pretty mean melee contingent to his army. Summoning up a few Punk Zombies, then buffing them with his (0) action, Bolster Undead, gives you paired CB9 2/4/5 attacks! Pretty nasty. Tack on Rigor Mortis, a spell that paralyzes a model gives you a pretty nifty master. He isn't top tier, but he can be a lot of fun.

Seamus is fun, even if others play him at your local you can still have very different games. Dont have to all take the same crew minions.

Mcmouring is an animal, not much survives a slapping from him.

Nico I have only just recently tried and needs a bit more thought.

Whicever you choose they are all good fun

+1 for Nico with the above restrictions, but mostly because it's really another different style way far away from Ophelia's and Colette's.

For the Guild I would take either Sonnia if you want some pro and anti spellcasting stuff, and I would take Zoraida From the Neverborn as she is actually different From all other Masters, she's all about control (although some will say this is similar to Nicodem's).