Push

Paul Turner

Question

Hi folks, hope you good folks can help our little malifaux gaming community with a rule query that came up this evening?

Using the second part of the push rule can the Victorias use sisters in spirit to push through a wall because the distance stated is specifically within a distance, and therefore avoiding movement penalties?

The general opinion was this would viable, but we wanted to check to make sure for next time?

14 answers to this question

I believe that, as long as there's a route that's theoretically possible, you can push whatever distance it takes (so, you could theoretically push around a wall), however, you couldn't push through a wall (for instance, if one Viktoria was inside a room with no doors, since that would require a place action).

edit: I was referring to a wall as something uncrossable, I'm not sure if that's what you mean, or if you mean a low wall that would just slow you down. With your situation, that probably wouldn't matter, though

The problem is, I haven't heard anything about how direct/"shortest distance" a push needs to be. It's unclear whether, in theory, you could bounce a mini all over the table when it's supposed to end "within" a distance, instead of moving a given distance.

Edited by SpiralngCadavr

Does the vertical distance get taken into account?

E.g. One Victoria standing at the base of a height 5 building with a flat roof. Can the other vik be pushed onto the roof?

I looked it up-- climbing only specifies moving, not what type and, since pushing is moving, yes, I believe you can have a model climb as part of a push.

However, if you ruled that there were no ways to climb any part of a building (i.e. smooth on all sides and no ladders), then no, you couldn't climb/push up it. But, I never play with terrain that is completely inaccessible to some types of models (as it could create really unpleasant situations vs. ranged/flying pieces or snipers that start on an inaccessible object, for instance).

I looked it up-- climbing only specifies moving, not what type and, since pushing is moving, yes, I believe you can have a model climb as part of a push.

However, if you ruled that there were no ways to climb any part of a building (i.e. smooth on all sides and no ladders), then no, you couldn't climb/push up it. But, I never play with terrain that is completely inaccessible to some types of models (as it could create really unpleasant situations vs. ranged/flying pieces or snipers that start on an inaccessible object, for instance).

Let's say that one Vik is at the base of a building and the other on top, within 1" of the edge and the height of the building is very high, lets say infinite height, are they considered to be within 3" of each other because you measure from an overhead view, or is the height of the building taken into account for the range they are within of each other?

Let's say that one Vik is at the base of a building and the other on top, within 1" of the edge and the height of the building is very high, lets say infinite height, are they considered to be within 3" of each other because you measure from an overhead view, or is the height of the building taken into account for the range they are within of each other?

The HT is not taken into account.

Awesome, thanks for the superfast reply dude!

Any chance of a pg No that describes measuring overhead for most things (apart from melee ranges when one opposing model is on a flat elevation only) as I've been told this time over time.

(Sorry, I'm very new to the game and have scoured the rulebook to no avail)

Edited by Fantasyfreak

Thanks for the link. After this was brought up, I found myself wondering the same thing. I've never really thought of it before... I just usually measured horizontally. Thank god I don't have the measure the geometrical angle. :P