Frosted varnish on purpose?

johntoenjes

The effect can be caused either by humidity or change in temperature (such as taking the spray can out the warm house and spraying the mini in the cold.)

Ive had it happen only twice, even when have coated in identical conditions without it happening. So Id have to say good luck getting to happen on purpose. Side note.. it doesnt look cool as sounds. Looks like crap.

Having sprayed varnish in several vastly differnt environments (High Humidity & low temp, Low Humidity & High Temp, High Humidity & High Temp, and finally Low Humidity & Low Temp) I can say that the best bet for frosting occurs at High Humidity & High Temp. The shower suggestion is the best bet.

Also low quality varnish is another good bet (higher quality spray varnishes aren't nearly as effected by these things as the lower end stuff).

I do seem to recall as well though that arts and craft stores sell a spray on product that does this much easier (I think it is for frosting glass vases and such). Not sure what it will do to a paint job but might be worth a try if you are trying for the "frosted" look.

I am a bit curious as to why anyone would want that look though (perhaps a Cult of December crew)?

P.S. I would recommend either painting your metals after you spray the varnish or using Non-metalic metal techniques since it will kill those paints in particular.

High humidity and temp are the key. My buddy does it to his Tyranid army on purpose. Spray outside in the summer just before a good rain and that should do it. Or find a sauna. Bathroom after a shower is also not a bad way to go, but harder to control.

Would the same thing occur to paint-on primer?

No, brush on Primer doesn't vaporize or have the aerosol propellant which causes the frosting.

You might be able to find a brush on product that will create a frost though. You will probably find it in the local craft store with the glass products (vases and such).

I cant promise it wont ruin your paintjobs but it is used to create frosted glass at home.

No, brush on Primer doesn't vaporize or have the aerosol propellant which causes the frosting.

You might be able to find a brush on product that will create a frost though. You will probably find it in the local craft store with the glass products (vases and such).

I cant promise it wont ruin your paintjobs but it is used to create frosted glass at home.

<nods> as to be spray on. Ive gotten the effect using Kylon matte finish and once using sealant from gamestore so probably a GW brand.

It is usually temp/humidity problem, but couple of years ago I had a can from GW that frosted everything. Ended up taking it back to store and they replaced it. Manager (who was a friend) told me unofficially that there had been a bad batch that had got out, but they weren't officially allowed to say that.

Can't imagine why anyone would want to do it deliberately. But if you did then it is more likely to happen if you spray a thick coat. If you don't want to do it then much better to do several really light coats, you just got to be patient and remember that it took ages to paint the model so don't mess up the last stage.