Spirit Sheath, Seishin Beacon and Project Emotions timing question.

WiLDRAGE

Question

The first Timing rule states that each sentence must be resolved completely before moving to the next. The second indicates that when an effect triggers another, you pause the effect, resolve the triggered effect and then continue resolving the previous effect.

Here is the scenario which is confusing me:

Kirai, who has used Seishin Beacon during this turn's activation, has 2 Seishin's in base contact with her. It is Pandora's activation, she has successfully pacified both Seishins leaving them with one wound each. She then casts Project Emotions on one of the Seishins.

The first step is to place the Blast Marker in base contact with the Seishin. The Blast Marker is placed in such as way that Kirai and the other Seishin are under the Blast Marker and that anything which would be placed in base contact with Kirai would also be touched by it. This is easily doable since Kirai and Seisin's are small bases.

The second step is to resolve the part of the spell that causes everyone touched to take resist duels; and this is where I get unsure. I understand that Kirai's controller decides the order in which she does the duels. Let's say this happens:

1. Kirai goes first and fails, she loses a Wd because of Emotional Trauma and now has been successfully attacked.
  2. Seishin A loses his Resist Duel and takes a Wd from Emotional Trauma.
  3. Kirai decides to take a Wd to ignore Fragile Connection and summons Seishin C in base contact with herself. This new Seishin is under the Blast Marker.
  4. Seisin B loses and is sacrified because of Fragile Connection.

Question 1.

Is Point 1 where Kirai decides to offload the eventual (since we're not at that point in the spell resolution yet) affect to a Seishin? If so, let say she chooses Seishin A.

Question 2.

Does Seishin C now have to take a Resist Duel since he is touched by the Blast Marker and we're still in the part of Project Emotion that makes models take Resist Duels if they are touched by it?

Once all the Resist Duels are done, we now get to the part that actually places an affect on the models that lost their duels.

Question(s) 3+.

Kirai picked Seishin A to get affected instead of her, what happens? Given that the Spirit Sheath ability is on the Seishin, one would assume the effect allowing Kirai to redirect the attack affects expired with it when it died? Would Kirai now have to suffer the effects of Project Emotions (like being tagged with Pity)?

I realize I may be overthinking things here, but I'm honestly curious about it as this places the onus on the Kirai player to carefully choose what order Resist Duels are performed.

7 answers to this question

I play in the same gaming club as wildrage and we answered the first 2 questions.

because of the wording of the blast you would nominate all models under the template as you put it so the new seishin wouldn't be affected.

But for the third question we are really annoyed by the fact that the effect is on the seishin and that at the time the effect is ``tranfered`` the seishin isn't in play anymore so would a rule marshal please help us with that?

The best way to think of it is that when a spell has multiple targets, you resolve the effect (i.e. the entire spell) fully against one target before moving on to the next.

In your scenario, think of the targeting as taking a snapshot of which targets are under the blast marker. Only those targets will ever be affected - new ones will not.

Kirai goes first, fails her Resist duel, and chooses to offload the Emotional Trauma wound and the effect of the spell (Pity) onto Seishin A via Spirit Sheath. Seishin A dies. Kirai chooses to take a wound to allow it to ignore Fragile Connection, and Seishin C is placed.

Seishin B goes next, fails its Resist duel and is killed. Kirai can choose to take a wound for Seishin Beacon and place a new Seishin, otherwise Seishin B will be sacrificed.

Since Seishin A was already dead before it got a chance to resist the spell, it has no further effect.

Kirai goes first, fails her Resist duel, and chooses to offload the Emotional Trauma wound and the effect of the spell (Pity) onto Seishin A via Spirit Sheath.

Wait, how can she offload the Wd from Emotional Trauma? That's not part of the effect of the attack, it's a byproduct of failing the Resist (Wp) Duel and not an attack at all according to the definition of an attack.