Asking opinion about a 35SS Nicodem List

Averlorn

Hello,

After a long time reading some posts about the rezzers, checking the Malifaux wiki and different other sites I finally decided to begin next month my rezzers crew.

Juggling with different masters I decided to start with Nicodem as my first leader. Later on i'll perhaps add Kirai (couldn't get y eyes off Mako's thread in the miniature showcase *smug* ) , but that's not for the next few monthes.

Well, here's, in my opinion, a balanced list and I wanted to know what you think about. Although I've never played Malifaux i''ve already played different other tabletop games since nearly twelve years now:

Master:

• Nicodem, the Undertaker

Minions:

• Mortimer, the Gravedigger
  • Bête Noire
  • 3 Canine remains
  • 2 Punk Zombies

Totem

• 1 Vulture

In addition I wanted to buy 1 Flesh contruct and two packs of mindless zombies.

With my precedented boughts this would give me 6 Mindless Zombies, 1 Flesh construct, 1 Punk Zombie and 1 canine remain to summon during the game.

The goal was to make a list which isn't expensive in terms of buying supplies (more or less 70 € / 85$) and, as I already told can complete different strategies.

I thank you in advance for suggestions;

With best regards;

Christian

For a starting point for nicodem its pretty good. You'll want belles they help pull gthe enemy into the bubble of death. Additionally you'll want a rogue necromancy to summon. But in the interum tjis is a good nico starting point. I tend to rate grave spirit more as a totem but with bette in the. List the vulture hass uses.

I love nicodem my ersonal favorite in terms of game play so good choice. Welcome to malifaux. The nest advice i can give you is a strong understanding of postion is paramont with nicodem. Dont. Let him get exposed early or your in trouble and remember bolter undead is great but a arise can be whayturns the tisde.

Thank you for the reply.

To be honest, I personally prefer the grave spirit in terms of play, and I really tried to take it. But I like the fluffy idea of a bird, getting glowing eyes during the game and throwing decay or I don't now what on the ennemy :-) Although it seems to be a little bit more tricky due to the reduction of the CA... But hey, it's a bird :-)

And thank you for the advice with the positioning. I'll have a test game in may, so I can learn how to position him.

I think the rogue necromancy will be for later on, but you are right with the bell. I'll check where I could put her. Maybe instead of one of the Punk zombies. Don't know.

Welcome to the rotting hoard. While Nicodem isn't among my list of played masters I do have one theory that I think could be useful, when playing and building your list think of him as if you were playing a version of Kirai. What I mean by that is that Kirai often has a very set number of models that go into her crew to augment her survivability and summoning, and I'd look at Nicodem the same way. Your posted list above goes a good way towards utilizing that Ideal.

I feel it is beneficial to figure out how many mindless zombies you want to have around Nicodem from the beginning of the game and do your best to have them on the first turn, as you will very rarely ever want to use arise over bolster in the later turns of the game. Bringing some cheap models to burn activations on and then slaughter and raise them as targets for Zombie fodder, attackers, and Nicodem blockers is very beneficial. In addition now you have the resources at hand to summon what ever is most effective at the proper time. That block will be a pain to shift, and would be very effective at anything goal that will require you to hold something if you need to.

Another thing to think about, and I'd be interested to hear what rancor has to say about this topic, is that I feel that Nicodem is one of those masters that really wants to activate early in the round, almost exclusively. He wants to get his Bolster up super quick so that more models will benefit from it longer. He wants to start tossing off his rigor Mortis to prevent you from acting this turn, and to decay to heal his troops, and dmg yours. Even if he is never successful because you cheat to prevent everything he is doing that's awesome too, as Nicodem really shines as crew support, and draining your hand in preparation for when the Cb 9 paired Punk zombie walks up to let you closely examine his katana is almost as good as getting the dmg through.

I'd also agree with Rancor that the GS might be better, although like him I can see the potential in using with Bete Noir, in addition even if it is insignificant, a model with a 10" move for so cheap is certainly of use in certain situations.

Hey, welcome to rezzers! Nicodem is one of my favorite masters as well. :)

One quick reminder, you play to strategy and your opponent's faction--especially with Nicodem. This means that you'll actually get to use a wider variety of models you buy! With the list you presented, you really want to replace a dog with a Vulture, otherwise--as others have said--it's a good starting point. You'll want a Rogue Necromancy and possibly another Flesh Construct for summoning purposes pretty quickly.

Other things to try as time allows:

- Grave Spirit

Makes Nicodem more survivable. If your opponent calls Neverborn just assume Chompybits and either get this or make a shell of swarming models (Canine Remains or Necropunks, usually).

- Dead Rider

Combined with the above, it takes Nicodem from being one of the slowest masters in the game to being able to cast spells into your opponent's deployment zone turn one. It's a very different way of playing Nicodem.

- Seamus Box

It's a classic and it remains good--the ol' pull and stab. It's great for things like Claim Jump or Slaughter. You get it for the Belles, mostly.

- Necropunks

You need objective runners eventually. Dogs only get you so far.

- Killjoy

Combine with the above. It's really fun. ^_^

- Datsu-Ba

Possibly when you purchase Kirai's box. She's good for Turf War, Reconnoiter, Etc. Keep killing Mindless Zombies for Gaki/Onryo to build up model count.

Thank you for the informations.

I suppose for the beginning i'll play against a friend of mine, whose playing The Order of the Chimera. I think i'll have to swap the vulture with a grave spirit^^

The Redchapel Gang is also an alternative for Kirai I have in mind. Is it worth buying it? I mean, naked Belles (omg, help!) luring some mortals next to my Punk Zombies...

Not a bad list, but I highly recommend switching the Vulture for a Grave Spirit (Spirit is just so much more useful and makes Nico hard to kill), and removing the Punk Zombies (they're quite simply not good enough; regardless of their awesome melee attack, they are very slow). Look at Dead Rider, Bete Noir, and Von Schill for high quality combat models. Also look at Sebastian and Madame Sybelle for uber-tough 6 point models which are useful on occasion, and extra dogs with which to pad out your points/sacrificial stuff. Finally get some Night Terrors for when you need speed and/or objective grabbing.