The real barrier to entry, and some other thoughts.

Commisar

The Puppet Deck also has the W/M/S on them, its just hidden. There is a dot on the card by the number that tells you which one it is.

Oh, I know :) But as you say it is hard to see, which is what the original comment was complaining about. I was just pointing out that once you realize the symmetry between the damage modifier table and the W/M/S counts, it's really pretty unnecessary (IMHO, of course).

I personally think the fluff for malifaux is so good that it is indeed a barrier to entry if it's not easily obtainable. I have no clue how to suggest offering all the stories in one neat, practical, and affordable package. Truly it seems like something that would be worth downloading as a Ebook from amazon or kindle for a price. Then coming out with a limited print, collectable hardcover at Gencon or something. Where the puppet card decks are concerned, I almost wanna start using regular card decks. Truthfully, It would have been interesting to see them use regular suited/numbered card decks with malifaux card art on the back. It would increase the utility of the card decks by letting you use them for poker or other card games.

If you go to Rymans or Staples you can get a laminator for about a tenner. A6 pouches are perfect for stat cards, they leave roughly 1cm around that you can trim or leave to give you room to make notes. Pouches are about £3 for 25 and Rymans normally have them on 3 for 2. It's so much easier to laminate.

I have to agree with the OP about book 1 being out of print. Lucky for me on of my friends managed to get hold of the last copy in Australia and I got to borrow it.

It's not just fluff that people are missing out on but there are minions in there that are not on the V2 PDF! What are people starting out supposed to do? Buy all these models blind just in case they might use them? Seems silly that the book is out of print and key information about the game is not available in another form.

As for the errata confusion this is a know problem that Wyrd are trying to address. I think most people will agree however its better to have this problem than a broken rules system.

If you use lamination or a slick type of protection for your cards, I would suggest using WET erase over DRY erase. Dry erase has a tendency to start staining the surface is left on too long. I've erased marks with a wet erase weeks after I last played them and they always wipe away clean.

Simple fix? Take them to the local print shop and have them laminated. It costs like a dollar (or shilling? Euro? Piece of eight? A farthing? Pounds?)

Guild scrip, man, Guild scrip.

The card issue has been flogged to death so I won't touch on it. There has been some talk of a fluff wiki so that could potentially solve that problem. As for carrying "Twisting Fates" around for the Avatar rules, when you purchase an avatar, you get a second card with all the manifesting rules on it so that eliminates the need for the book. Additionally, most of us geeks memorize this stuff anyway :D