Sabol Army Transport Trays: which to buy?

Iron Heel

Hi,

I have an empty Sabol Army Transport and am just starting out in Malifaux.

For those of you who use Sabol products, which depths would you recommend?

I will be playing Neverborn & Archanists if that matters (although all the factions seem to have teir own big guys & small fries).

I prefer 1.5", 2", and 3" trays. Many of the smaller models will fit just fine in a 1" tray, but there is a chance that anything sticking out to the edge of the base or further will get bent. The 3" tray is nice for some of the larger models and will typically allow them to stand in the tray. The 2" tray is good for 40mm and 50mm base models that can lie down, and the 1.5" can take care of the 30mm based models without much worry. Overall, I would suggest one 3" tray, (2) 2" trays, and (3) or so 1.5" trays. Maybe (1) 1" tray for the little models.

I personally have found that the 1" trays are just too small for a 30mm base so I won't go smaller than 1.5" myself. Even if the model itself is small enough I just don't like the bases sticking out of the foam. I don't think I have a model on 30mm base that won't fit into the 1.5" nicely (including other game systems).

This seems like a handy place to ask how people utilize the pick apart foam on these.

I find 2x2 sections not large enough and 3x3 okay but makes for a significant amount of space in the tray that isn't utilized... which irritates me.

How are you utilizing the pick aparts and are there other kinds of trays that work better that will still go in the sabol bags like the double wide motor pool bag?

I use battle foam , and I found the 1 inch tray with a topper on top usable. For most models if you want to lie the models on their side. Most wholes I cut are 1x1 , 1x1.5, and a few 1x2 for taller models. I also have a 2 inch layer for larger models. This holds a 50mm base sideways really well. the only 2 models that I can see that would not fit in either of these trays are the NM LCB & Nekidema.

My WM/H crew are in the sabot bag and I got the 1.5 inch trays and cut .5x.5 or .5x.75 slot and put my troops head first in the tray, leaving the base on the outside. since WM/H have more troops I found it was needed to keep my collection in a bag I liked.

I've never had need of a 3" tray, personally - biggest I use a 2", but lay most of my models down. I concur with the above that a 1" is just too shallow for 30mm bases - 1.5" is most of what I use.

@schristoferson: Assuming no strange profile, I use a 3x2 cavity for most humanoid figures.

I wrote this a long time ago - it's a bit rough by current standard, but still useful:

Sabol Army Transport Planner

I've never had need of a 3" tray, personally - biggest I use a 2", but lay most of my models down. I concur with the above that a 1" is just too shallow for 30mm bases - 1.5" is most of what I use.

@schristoferson: Assuming no strange profile, I use a 3x2 cavity for most humanoid figures.

I wrote this a long time ago - it's a bit rough by current standard, but still useful:

Sabol Army Transport Planner

That tool is really neat. Thanks for that.

I already have a one inch tray that came with one of my sabol bags i'm planning on using for stuff like rats and counters but otherwise I concur that its pretty rubbish.

I do have NM LCB and Nekima but I suspect i'll not be using Nekima for quite a while until either her rules change or more nephelim come out.

I've been looking at the battle foam products (especially the Malifaux bag) but find their trays seem a bit spendy for what you get and the bag is looking a bit small to carry the amount of figs I want for variety in crew selection these days.

That said the bag is really nice and the trays do seem quality. If I didn't already have several Sabol bags for other games and a bunch of foam trays I would be more interested.

If you are looking at Batttlefoam I found the 216 bag good (assuming you can live with 1 inch foam.) I moved to the 432 once my collection grew and got a custom load out with 2 custom 1 inch trays and 2 x 2 inch pluck foams. All my cards and tokens are in a spot on a 2 inch tray, and my second 2 inch tray is still untouched. FYI I have 3 toppers so there is a enough room for at least 1x1.5 inch tray instead of a 1 inch.

I consider my collection fairly large with 10 master (no NM LCB or Nekedima), and I the 432 bag (7.5 inch) is a little too big. While the 216 (4 inch interior) is good for most people (Again if you don't mind 1 inch foams). The store near actually caries the Heavy gear Blitz bag, which has a 6 inch interior. It uses the same size trays as the rest of the of their normal line, Its just black with the HG logo. This I think is the right size. I figure 1 inch tray, 2x 1.5 inch, the last inch is the tray bottoms and a one inch topper.

Don't forget when planning on bag each tray needs .25 inches for the bottom layer on top(or under) of the foam height, and you want at least 1 topper which is another .25 inches.

Here is one of my tray layout files I made, My final version had 3 rows of 1x1 and instead of the horizontal 1x2 slots. I went with the custom trays because I could fit and extra 20 models per tray with the .25 spacers between them instead of .5. I would consider the custom load out because I find the default load outs come with a 3 inch tray you would not use anyway except for NM LCB and Nekidima. With those slots I had to make 2 custom cuts to for Kaeris & Night terrors.

Sorry for the small novel but I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out my expected collection growth and how to fit them in the most efficient way.

post-5794-13911922656348_thumb.jpg

In Sabol foam I would sugest 1.5" foam for the small stuff you're willing to lay down since 1" won't contain the whole 30mm lipped base, and then just measure the tallest of your mini's and get a tray that's about 1/4" taller for the rest. The 1/4" should give you a bit of crush room and a cushion incase you get something a bit taller than what you have curently.

Currently my 23 Guild models reside in a single 3" tray with some laying flat and some upright. Since that tray is now full I'll most likely start using 1.5" for the one piece smaller mini's, and add another 3.5" or 4" tray for the bigger stuff and contain them all in a Platoon case I have left over from buying a biger case for other mini's.

I personaly love the Sabol cases and foam over the other options available. I've seen them all and nothing has the utillity that Sabol gives me plus the added feature that all major distributors carry it so as my collection grows I can replace and adjust the foam I use at a reasonable cost.