Portland, OR, Malifaux games/demos, Fridays

SpiralngCadavr

I'm starting to get some interest going for Malifaux at Bridgetown Hobbies and Games (on Sandy and 35th or so), and wanted to get the word out.

UPDATE: We've been unofficially meeting on the second and fourth Friday each month (and sneaking in on WM nights some of the others), and it's pretty casual right now, since everyone's either pretty new (or completely new) or is coming back to Malifaux after an extended absence. It's pretty likely, at this point, that if we generate a bit more interest, we'll officially have the 2nd/4th slot.

Clarifying, unless I write in that it's cancelled, 2nd & 4th should be open, and the others are possible, but, either way, if you write here or contact me, I can confirm that there's a game.

So, if you're new, curious, looking for a venue, etc. and interested in a demo* or game, come by-- it should be fun. For those more experienced players, we'd of course welcome you, too, but the store in general is a pretty casual place, so if you come expecting tourney attitudes/experience, you'll probably end up winning some boring slaughters.

*if you're looking for a demo, let me know what you're interested in playing

At this point, though, we haven't got the time set in stone, so please contact me (PM here, or through my blog (see the sig)) so we can be sure to coordinate.

Looking forward to seeing some new faces!

Edited by SpiralngCadavr

I don't live in Portland, Or but I loved the city when I vacationed over there 2 years ago. It's nice to know there may be a Malifaux group in case I move there.

IMO, Portland is a perfect setting for Malifaux... Stay wyrd Portland!

lol: re- Wyrd.

Actually, my wife and I both (before we knew each other) visited Portland, and are now living here because we loved the city, too!

I will be moving there hopefully within the year. I'll try and get keep ya updated and come play with you as soon as I can
Sounds good! While not a native to Ohio, I spent my college years just south of Cleveland, and the winters are sort of comparable, except mostly rain instead of snow (personally, I'd prefer more snow and less rain), but the summer is just about perfect. Good luck w/ the move!

If you haven't already you should consider posting this over at http://www.ordofanaticus.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=30

This is where many of the gamers from Portland go to chat and what not. The ordo guys are a great bunch.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check it out.

Wyrd PDX FTW!!!

PS: Guardian games serves beer, and you can play Malifaux there. We used to play every Tuesday, there but I'm just not that big of a gamer when it comes down to it. They have a tourney last Saturday of the month.

Here's another local forum. Been pretty quite lately though.

http://www.robertsguild.com/forum/modules.php?name=Forums

Thanks for the link!

but I'm just not that big of a gamer when it comes down to it.

This was kinda' my issue with Guardian-- they were very professional and slick (though didn't have the alcohol license when I was there), but worked the sell a bit hard, and it had a bit of an, I dunno, mallish and competitive vibe (felt like just about every WM player was only prepping for tournies, for instance). While there were some good guys there when I played WM, it felt almost like the GW store I went to a few times, years ago.

Don't know if that was just a weird couple experiences, and I certainly wouldn't write off the whole place, but it just felt a little odd...

Thanks for the link!

This was kinda' my issue with Guardian-- they were very professional and slick (though didn't have the alcohol license when I was there), but worked the sell a bit hard, and it had a bit of an, I dunno, mallish and competitive vibe (felt like just about every WM player was only prepping for tournies, for instance). While there were some good guys there when I played WM, it felt almost like the GW store I went to a few times, years ago.

Don't know if that was just a weird couple experiences, and I certainly wouldn't write off the whole place, but it just felt a little odd...

well, if I move to Portland, you can also count on me as a non-uber competitive WM player. I play for the LULZ...

The store is only open 12-6 on Sundays, and we are usually there open to close. We are a pretty friendly bunch, and have a range of crews available to play.

Cool-- I'll try to make it out there (I live in the self-contained bubble that is Southeast Portland, so getting myself to venture across the water has started to be like going to another city, but for another nice gaming venue, I think I can make an exception, if I have a free Sunday).

well, if I move to Portland, you can also count on me as a non-uber competitive WM player. I play for the LULZ...

After I burnt out on semi-competitive WM, yeah, I've been having way more fun with a casual game and a more fluid objective system (than "Kill the caster!!! Uh, and, umm, what scenario were we playing?").

I prefer a close or fun game to a win any day of the week.

I could see that about GG. Sometimes that place gets SUPER crowded with those Magic? tourneys. 200 teens geeking out at once can be a bit much for me.

I'm sort of a booze hound homebody, so when I do go out, I likes my sauce to be available. :)

I do like bridgetown though. Lots of good hobby suplies and a decent selection of reaper minis on those racks. Might have to stop by and have a game one of these days, thanks for the invite!

re: the Imp-- maybe could arrange that, it'd need to be a little closer for me to know what's happening. Also, looks like Guardian has an open gaming night on Tuesdays? I can't tell, since Mali isn't listed officially on their calendar.

re: Peterdita, Wow, 200? I've seen busy nights, but that's intense.

Also, I likes my alcohol* at a local tavern(s) with a good burger/sandwich/ramen/vietnamese wings/spaetzle/etc., but I definitely see the appeal of the gaming/chilling with alcohol on hand.

*while normally not my thing, there's a margarita slushy that makes my teeth hurt, just thinking about it

Bridgetown is pretty quiet, but yeah, it's got a good vibe, and the WM crowd is definitely growing healthily, and Malifaux is small, but I've seen enough interest that I think it's a matter of time, now. I think they do more stuff with models than they do with miniatures, since I pretty frequently see people on the historicals side of the store who never venture to gaming nights.

Of course, re: invite, but it would be good to check in before swinging by, b/c, like I said, it's not official/stable quite yet.

Perhaps someone in Portland, OR should become a henchman or something..

If ever I go to Lock and Load (yes it's Privateer Press but I can still pass by Portland and get a game in) or PAX, I can stop by overnight and get a game in. I've driven from Portland to Seattle once and it's a 2 day affair...

I'm looking at, once I get the chops, applying for Henchman status in Southeast PDX--

I've got the minis (and paint jobs), the enthusiasm (to spare), the mind for it (w/ years of gaming and paying attention to rules), a store I'm close with, and a suitable density of terrain (vs. a lot of games with lighter terrain)

…but I'm not sure how much experience I need. I've always avidly played games I'm in to, and usually gain thorough knowledge of them, but have never been the sort that can get a ton of games in, nor have I done any tournies in probably a decade.

I'm looking at, once I get the chops, applying for Henchman status in Southeast PDX--

I've got the minis (and paint jobs), the enthusiasm (to spare), the mind for it (w/ years of gaming and paying attention to rules), a store I'm close with, and a suitable density of terrain (vs. a lot of games with lighter terrain)

…but I'm not sure how much experience I need. I've always avidly played games I'm in to, and usually gain thorough knowledge of them, but have never been the sort that can get a ton of games in, nor have I done any tournies in probably a decade.

I'm sure you can be a henchman... our local henchman in San Jose, CA is relatively new but i guess she made up by helping demo some games (she has tons of crews) and introducing newbies (like me) to game.

Wyrd PDX FTW!!!

PS: Guardian games serves beer, and you can play Malifaux there. We used to play every Tuesday, there but I'm just not that big of a gamer when it comes down to it. They have a tourney last Saturday of the month.

Here's another local forum. Been pretty quite lately though.

http://www.robertsguild.com/forum/modules.php?name=Forums

not gonna lie this sounds absolutely amazing.

On another note I was planning on becoming a henchmen here in ohio but Im not sticking around long enough. Maybe ill have the time once I move out west!

Yeah, before applying I had zero experience running events or anything official. It's really simple if you are willing to put the time in.

Cool-- thanks!

not gonna lie this sounds absolutely amazing.

Yeah, Portland's prolific Liquor Licenses are a wonderful thing. Personally, my fave is the $3-4 second-run movies: Go to a movie in a mall, or wait 2 months and go to the same movie, at an independent place, and get a beer and a snack to go with your ticket for about the same price? I know which one I'll always choose.