The New GW 145 Paints

How many shades of Black are there?

Actually, three shades of black of Black might be useful - I'm a big fan of Andrea paint range and they have a black paint set consisting of six paints (though most of them are rather grayish than black.

I can maybe understand a primer and a normal black....but highlight black. Isn't it just black. Seems odd to me.

The whole point of the different ranges is to allow most of them to be used straight from the bottle with minimal extra effort. That means no thinning or other manipulation. The different blacks may all be the same color, but they're different consistencies.

• 2 weeks later...
But see there are tons of shades of green, lights and darks. More yellow, more brown..etc

And with my 2 greens plus a few other paints to mix in I can make any shade of green I want. Then again I do have about 40 pots filled with various mixes of green (including other colours with a hint of green like blues, greys, etc.) that I have mixed up myself, I just don't see the need to 12 shades of green for people to start with.

How many shades of Black are there?

As a son of a designer I can tell you the right answer immediately: 0.

Black is just a shade of gray (and not the shade, but any shade you happen to perceive as black at the moment - which is probably why painting black is so hard).

There are probably 2~3 very dark grays for the "softer" black look (something like the mix of Chaos Black and Codex Gray) and the old Chaos Black-like color for the primer.

I guess the thought behind the current GW line is that you don't have to explain anything to newbies, just tell them which pots to use. I suppose all the useful articles with the lists of paint mixes - the last part of White Dwarf one could learn something from, will be going the way of the dodo too... :(

I must say I won't be buying these paints. Not because they are bad, but because I like painting. This is like fast food to someone who likes eating - a waste of perfectly good meal time on something one takes no pleasure from.

Vallejo paint and Secret Weapon Washes are sooo much better, and cheaper, than the new GW stuff IMO.

I'm seriously at the point of saying if it's not in a dropper bottle, I'm not even going to bother. Too bad P3 doesn't come in dropper bottles, their red is soooooo freaking good!

Vallejo paint and Secret Weapon Washes are sooo much better, and cheaper, than the new GW stuff IMO.

I'm seriously at the point of saying if it's not in a dropper bottle, I'm not even going to bother. Too bad P3 doesn't come in dropper bottles, their red is soooooo freaking good!

Totally agree with dropper bottles. I've recently tried inks from Army Painter and I can confirm that they're at least as good as Citadels (if not even better).

As far as red is concerned, I haven't tried it from P3 range yet but I do love Andrea Red paint set.

I guess the thought behind the current GW line is that you don't have to explain anything to newbies, just tell them which pots to use.

I must say I won't be buying these paints. Not because they are bad, but because I like painting.

I don't really like painting, just the results :) But I do try and do the best job I can, and agree with this general sentiment. It feels very much like the new paint line is aimed squarely at lower-end painters. Base paints are an improvement over Foundation, which were too thick, but still obviously intended to color over black rather than white primer (i.e. more for mass painting). Layers being pre-thinned is great for someone who doesn't want to bother doing anything but painting from the pot - but while you can always thin a paint, thickening it back up is much harder ;) That makes the Layers useless for basecoating. The washes are handy in a few colors, but they were always limited use outside of Devlan Mud and Badab Black. The Dry paints... <sigh> I accept the need for it as a technique, but theming an entire range of paints around the technique is the wrong direction, IMHO, even before we again reach the "Useless for anything else". Textures are the ultimate in lazy, and give generally bad results on top of it while requiring a TON of paint to be slopped on.

Overall, GW has retooled their paint line to their specific style of painting - which is entirely their right, but IMHO it's made the range far less useful for more serious painters. I'm experimenting with P3 and Reaper Master Series now, and while I have stocked up on certain colors of the old Citadel and a few of the new colors, I don't see myself sticking with them as a primary paint any more.

• 2 weeks later...

I wont be buying any from GW and I wont buy any of their stuff out of principle, the BS that their staff and management gave me when I used to go in was laughable.

In Malifaux I have found a game I can enjoy, models I love and a community that I can relate to, plus Vallejo pees all over their paints.