Some rules questions, probably easy

Cadfan

Question

I'm a noob. I've read the rulebook online, and I have a copy of the old, original rulebook, but I haven't figured these out, or at least, I'm not 100% certain. So I'd appreciate some quick help.

1. If an effect sacrifices one troop and replaces it with a new troop, but it doesn't explicitly say that the new troop is "summoned," does the new troop have slow? The coryphee is the example I'm thinking of. It seems like you're supposed to be able to attack with the duet, dance apart, then activate the individuals (or vice versa with dance together). Is this correct?

2. Can a scheme that rewards killing a particular model be completed by letting the model be sacrificed by its own side, even when that sacrifice is cosmetic? The obvious example is the coryphee, which are "sacrificed" in order to be merged into one troop, which will later re-separate into two troops.

3. I understand line of sight rules for ranged attacks, or spells with the ranged attack symbol. I understand line of sight rules for melee attacks or spells with the melee attack symbol. But what about spells with no symbol at all?

4. Same question, but for abilities that affect an enemy, but which are not spells. For example, the Performers have the ability Mesmerizing, which affects one enemy within six inches. It doesn't have any symbol at all, and in fact, doesn't even specify a casting number or a resist. It just declares that a wp vs wp duel should take place between the performer and a model within 6. By rules as written, would this work through walls?

5. I've got someone in my group who insists that blast templates must be placed on the ground, and that if a blast template cannot touch the ground in a particular area because there are too many other models present, then it cannot be placed at all. So, for example, imagine that Nicodem is completely surrounded by mindless zombies, all of whom are in base to base contact with him. He is struck by an attack that generates one blast. This blast cannot be placed on the ground in base to base contact with Nicodem, because there is insufficient empty space. I'm told that this means that the blast cannot be placed at all, and therefore fizzles. Is this correct, and if not, what reference can I use to prove the point?

10 answers to this question

Point 3: If the ability tells you to target something then it requires LoS (as per the rules on targeting). If the ability just states a range and doesn't require you to target LoS is not required (but the ability in question will often add some kind of limitation).

Point 2: Depends on the Scheme. Read carefully, and know that killed, sacrificed, and replaced are all different. If the scheme requires a kill, then a sacrifice or replace won't cut it. If they're Neverborn, then they'll get Kidnap.

Point 4: If it's an attack (does damage/Wds or requires an opposed duel), then it needs LoS. If it says "target" in the description, it needs LoS. By default, it doesn't, but most powers do.

5. I've got someone in my group who insists that blast templates must be placed on the ground, and that if a blast template cannot touch the ground in a particular area because there are too many other models present, then it cannot be placed at all. So, for example, imagine that Nicodem is completely surrounded by mindless zombies, all of whom are in base to base contact with him. He is struck by an attack that generates one blast. This blast cannot be placed on the ground in base to base contact with Nicodem, because there is insufficient empty space. I'm told that this means that the blast cannot be placed at all, and therefore fizzles. Is this correct, and if not, what reference can I use to prove the point?

This made me smile - if blasts could only be placed in empty ground they'd never hit anything :)

As to point 2, the coryphee is actually "replaced" and although I think it says "sacrifice" the non-activating coryphee (bad wording to be honest I think) it still falls under the rules for "replace" which wouldn't trigger those victory conditions.

5) sounds like your friend is either a bit confused or tried to cheat you out of a devestating attack. Blasts just need to be placed as if they are touching models base, anything other then the original target will suffer the blast.

He wouldn't try to cheat me, and it was a question I raised because he's been playing longer than I have, not because it came up in a game. I just asked him what he thought, and his answer seemed wrong. I'm glad to hear that it works the way I think is logical.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Point 3: If the ability tells you to target something then it requires LoS (as per the rules on targeting). If the ability just states a range and doesn't require you to target LoS is not required (but the ability in question will often add some kind of limitation).

So the performers Mesmerizing and Seduction require line of sight, because they use the word "target." But they don't care about cover, because they're not *gun symbol* spells. Is this correct?

So the performers Mesmerizing and Seduction require line of sight, because they use the word "target." But they don't care about cover, because they're not *gun symbol* spells. Is this correct?

Correct. They can also be cast into melee without target randomization.