Advice for a new player

justin page

First off; thanks for taking the time for reading this.

I recently decided to take a one year vacation from games workshop. One of the first games I turned to was Malifaux. Nobody else in my area is yet playing so I am going to be the first. I really like this game and want to dive right in but I have a few questions before start up some local malifaux fever;

1. What is the average game size and what would be a good demo game size?

2. How long do games take to complete.

3. Local stores have awful terrain. How important is urban terrain to this game.

THANK YOU in advance to anybody answering this plea.

20-25 stones for a small game

30-35 is a "standard" game

I'd stick to 20-25 until you're comfortable with it all. As for Demos, the boxes are a great place to start. I suggest Lady Justice v. Seamus. I find they are both interesting enough to be fun, but straightforward enough to not make you want to pull your hair out.

2- Your first few games are going to be LONG. Like and hour and a half for 25 stones, and that's if someone is there helping you. I'd lay out two hours for the first game your buddy and you play to figure it all out.

3- Terrain is VERY important to Malifaux. Doesn't have be Urban, but there has to be alot of it. Things to hide behind etc. Otherwise, shooting crews get way too powerful.

Rasputina herself is not a bad master to start with either, she can dish out some pain and has some nice and simple minions to, but she's not too mobile. Pandora on the other hand is not amazingly begginer friendly. Terrain wise you may want to look into terra clips, they capture the spirit of malifaux quite well.

Hope that helps,

Wierdvortex

Run, RUN WHILST YOU STILL HAVE A BANK BALANCE

Ha! But my addiction runs far too deep! So far this year I have built an entire Fleet for dystopian wars ($120), two gangs for malifaux ($85), and a few flames of war figures ($50) and I'm still not up to an average warhammer army price. ($300-ish by my reckoning) I plan on doing bushido next which should run under $50.

I have increased my chances of finding a game with somebody who is over the age of 13 at the local store by quite a bit. AND I'm finally painting things that don't wear power armor!

Maybe I'm unjustly disgruntled with GW but it feels like I just opened my eyes to this whole better gaming world that was hidden behind boxes of 60 dollar tanks

Is that all? I've spent well over $300 on just one master =D

Also, don't worry about it. GW made me experience all these wonderful games too. Having been a wargamer for some 22 years or so, I'll say that Malifaux really is my favourite, and if it wasn't for GW being so patently rubbish, I would not have returned to the crucible of wargames to find it

Is that all? I've spent well over $300 on just one master =D

Also, don't worry about it. GW made me experience all these wonderful games too. Having been a wargamer for some 22 years or so, I'll say that Malifaux really is my favourite, and if it wasn't for GW being so patently rubbish, I would not have returned to the crucible of wargames to find it

For me, it was GW's embargo on overseas shipping that lost me as a customer. When it's cheaper to order a Lifta-Droppa Wagon from Forgeworld than it is to buy an ordinary Battlewagon from your local store, you know the system is broken. The cost simply became too prohibitive. Of course, I've spent somewhere near $500 on Malifaux since then, but in contrast to GW I feel like I've actually gotten a satisfactory amount of value from it. ;)

Yeah, those practices were foolish. I except the volume of general players must be high enough that the people I know who quit don't matter. I mean, in my local scene they only lost about a third of the players, and this is an older group. If it didn't affect the young/store footprint it likely hasn't made enough difference to matter to them, and if they saved enough on shipping well good for them. Shame it cost their opinion amongst the more... gosh I don't know a non-patronising term for the people who are in MY circle of players like people online here and in my groups, vs younger players and people who play in GW stores.

People who like the things I like, but not in a way I like them to! ;D

I feel that the people who left, including myself, are just a bit like the computer gamers who rage at Nintendo for focusing on the "casual" market, when it is just as lucrative.

I left for more then just price; a tired rules system (at least to me), local players obsessed with the tournament scene, quantity of models needed to buy/paint to start a new army was always a daunting undertaking.

Also, Im getting older and around here, older players seem to be into non-GW games. Im military and therefore move every few years so if I want to make friends among the local savages, I have to be into what the locals are playing. Here in texas its Dystopian Wars so I painted that first. Those same non-GW people may be open to Malifaux