Handicapping Kirai

Da Git

Ok, I am in a new country & want to play Malifaux... the issue is is that I am trying to teach a new player & all I have is Kirai (he is using ortega's). Now i could be really mean & trounce him in a turn or 2, but that isn't really fun for anyone... here were the handicaps I gave myself...

No Shikome.

Only 2 Seishin in the starting crew.

Only resummon Ikiryo once.

We played 25SS

Me

Kirai

Lost Love - 2

2 Seishin - 4

2 Onryo - 10

3 Gaki - 9

Him

The ortega starting box

I actually found the game to be quite enjoyable, it meant that I really improved my knowledge of models I consider sub-par (onryo) & made Kirai not-broken. The next time we play I also want to throw in the Datsue-ba which is another model I always found underperformed.

In the end I lost the game following these restrictions (which was good as I want him to get into the game) but more importantly we both found it very fun!!

Not using Shikome can be a winner!! (for fun anyways!!)

I actually have this same situation coming up potentially, a friend is new and had the Ortegas and I'm almost as new with Kirai (but have had a few games to learn her basic tricks). I was debating giving him the exorcist to use on me, but avoiding shikome and reducing my seishin might well slow my efforts down a little.

Not that I'm any good with Kirai so I might get mauled doing that, but then we both don't care about the result, only about comedy value...

yeah, I really only put the restrictions on because I didn't want to maul him in turn 1-2... but I found the whole experiene to be really cool as it forced me to learn how to use some other stuff rather than just relying on Shikome to kill everything for me (& then being rediculously fast, claim objectives!)

Yeah, I'm not very good with Kirai but I should be able to slap a shikome into his ortegas before he gets a shot off. Which seems harsh!

Also decided I might take Kirai's avatar, since it supposedly messes her movement shenanigans up. I get to use a model that's not seen the table before, it cuts down on hte problem of him having nothing to shoot at most of the game, and it should provide some fairly entertaining chaos!

Yeah, I'll probably give Jaakuna a run too, since I've managed to finish my version. I'm going to see how Datsue-ba (never had a chance to use her, last time she got killed before she did anything), Jaakuna Ubume and the avatar form work out. All at the same time...

I suspect it'll be a fairly uncoordinated game, but then that will be hilarious, which is all I want from it really!

So my journey into making Kirai fun for playing against beginners continues... had a game today which I must say was one of the funnest games I have ever played as well as being quite tactically challenging while trying to limit my Shikome usage...

First up, quick rules question: can the spirits attack against Perdita's willpower (as she is immune to Influence)??

Game was against Perdita (again) with Shared treasure hunt and 1 scheme each (next month we'll go 2 schemes. Me grudge against papa (a mistake!!), him bodyguard... 25ss

Me

Kirai

Lost love

Datsue-ba

2x Onryo

3x Seishin

Him

Perdita box set (dita, fransico, santiago, papa, nino)

first turn basically a move up (although I did some funky moving shenanigans with Kirai & datsue-ba to get an Onryo into base with the treasure.

second turn (& everyother turn!!) he gets initiative & companions everyone to slaughter the onryo taking a wound on papa, nino, dita & fransico!! & gets papa into base with treasure for with an obey...

I gun everything at Papa but can only manage to get him to 1 wound!! (dang cards!!!)

3rd turn. he companions again with papa, dita & franny moves papa up does take ya with me! (robbing me of 2 vps!!!) and taking 6 wounds off kirai & killing my 3 seishin as well as 3 wounds on the Datsue-ba :( as well as moving up a bit.

I then into the spirit world with Kirai, absorb herself so back to 6 wounds & no more lost love... then summon an Ikiryo and get a red joker to heal herself!! try but fail to kill Franny with Onryo & Ikiryo. I was then going to use the Datsue-ba to finish him off but nino puts a few bullets into her first!! Dang Nino (he had an amazing ability to constantly get off trigger happy... :( )

4th. he compaions again with Santiago (yawn!!). managers to kill both the Ikiryo with santi (as well a Franny!!) & Onryo with Perdita. Pertida then tries to shoot Kirai which brought up an interesting point with Immune to influence & pitiful... new thread coming...

At this stage I was getting a tad desperate & figured it was time to bring out the big guns so summoned a Shikome (affectionately known henceforth as a Birdie!!) who swoops in and kills Perdita!! Huzzah!! no schemes for either of us!! It also gave me another Seishin & gaki (spirit food)

5th. He companions santi & nino (all that is left) killing both the birdie & gaki...

So I promptly summon a new one!! she swoops in, grabs the treasure & attacks santi bringing him down to 1 wound... (gotta love 4 ap a turn!!)

6th He heals santi a little & shoots birdie with nino (wounding her a little).

I once again fail to kill Santi

7th & onwards(we just went one with the game...) He kills poor birdie... :(

So once again I sommon a new one (saccing Kirai in the process!! first time she has not finished a game!!) birdie gets treasure kills santi but is gunned down by Nino (note, I could've hidden & won but went for the 4 vps and for fun, in hindsight though she should've gon for Nino!)

So a 0-0 draw!! We both really enjoyed the game, I had 2 horrible hands which really hurt me and if it weren't for my relapse into shikome to pull me out of the fire I would have gotten slaughtered.

Learning points for me:

don't rush in and rely on getting the initiative as I got taken apart piecmeal.

Still struggling to get the Datsue-ba to work... that was why I dropped her in the first place.

Shikome are & always will be the bomb!!

Papa hurts, don't fail to kill him!!... (& don't grudge him!!)

Be wary of Companion...

Thanks for reading!!

Next month I should have McMourning which will be fun!!

Edited by Da O&F Git
Rules question added...

Well, we had our game the other day. Took a fair while and we only played a few turns (short time available and not knowing what we were doing slowed things down a lot!) we also played on a 30" board, ie my kitchen table *wink*

At 30ss, he took Perdita's box and the totem, and I took Kirai, lost love, Datsue-ba, 2 onryo, 3 swishing, and the avatar. I flipped claim jump, he got distract. (after flipping reconnoiter four times in a row... I let him reflip as he had no chance really) and neither of us took schemes to keep it simple. It went pretty well, though we had to improvise terrain as my flat doesn't have any at the moment. still, donuts and coke cans worked pretty well and provided a tasty battlefield. Except when he ate his cover and we had to get out more donuts!

I learned how dementedly long range niño is, and how much more careful i need to be with my positioning, and he learned how to play and how annoying spirits can be. But also how hilarious shooting them in the face is.

I'll put up a quick report later if anyone's interested, there were a few comedy moments and Jaakuna made a cameo appearance.

I'll put something together then, won't be too lengthy as I didn't keep notes on every move made, but the key bits are there. All three turns of them :-P

Still, some time soon I'll hopefully get some more games in and actually play it out to the end!

• 4 weeks later...