Making Pandora more viable and fun.

Psyce

Good point. Would you rather she has something that she could use idependetly, or had some cooler/more useful buffs (not centred around Woes) so that she need not get in the fight in the first place? As she is now, like any puppet with a Cb0 (Witchling, Cherub, etc) she's just not meant to attack, so making her more independent may cost her a nice buff action.

Been thinking about this a lot. And have started to see the issue. While I still have fun playing Pandora (and as I think about it, it very well may be that I just ignore her and play with the other puppets for most of the rounds and I like the team I build around her), after reading all these thoughts, I agree that she is the master I animate the least when I take her.

What about putting a smaller range on Downer and Really Annoying? If Pandora had the option to cast them directly onto a target puppet, instead of having to do it through a woe, and if they would work as an effect that lasts the turn, (like pop-gun), I would activate her every round. Then again this may be something that would be unnecessary when there are more woes available.

Edited by Hugor

Here's the two things's I'd do to change her:

Combine all of the effects of Downer and Really Annoying into one :fast Action ("Really Freaking Annoying"), range: in play, no LOS required, and raise it to a 6 + a :masks discard. -- As it stands right now, to activate Pandora and actually use her Actions, you're going to go through a huge portion of your Masks. Frankly, many of the other puppets in her crew have better Actions to use those Masks on, so I rarely use Pandora's Actions. Combining these two relatively "meh" Actions into one "decent" Action doesn't really change much in the grand scheme of things, but frees up a mask or two for better (more fun) use.

Add the "Quit Hitting Yourself" Action, 9:masks, range 4 with LOS, targetted model makes a cb1 attack against itself with no modifiers, owning player may play a dodge and flips the attack from his own deck -- As I said before, this action feels very masky, would be a blast to use, and allows Pandora to be *actively* useful to her crew - albeit at a relatively high cost for a single strike. The fact that it burns through the opponent's cards is icing on the cake and also feels very masky.

With these two changes, I would really enjoy using Pandora. She isn't very fun because currently she doesn't do very much. Her current actions, even if used every single turn (apparently you stacked your deck with extra masks? lol), are still soooo passive and unengaging for both the Pandora player and the opponent.

Also, I really want the chance to say to my opponents "Quit hitting yourself. Quit hitting yourself. Quit hitting yourself....."

I didn't know that she wasn't viable. My sister took great delight in using her abilities to shut down quite a few of my puppets. I think she had a lot more fun with Pandora than she did Lady J, but that is probably a play style thing.

Having said that, the "Stop Hitting Yourself" action would be hilarious, thematic, and fun.

Tauwolf I think I may try "Quit Hitting Yourself" tonight as a house rule. I fear 4 range may be just too much considering, but I will give it a go. I think perhaps 3 range might be more reasonable, but it seems pretty balanced though if you need a 9 of Masks to cast it.

I would like to post here that we ended up playing a 3 player game,and one person picked Pandora. Without knowing anything about this discussion he proceeded to activate her only once during the 3 hour game. When it was over I asked him how he liked her and when he told me he only activated her once I asked him why. His response was simply "I had more fun activating my other puppets!" I don't want it to seem like I am beating a dead horse here so I will drop my arguments after this. I just felt that it was an important statement that he made. This was his first time playing Pandora but he has played other master's before and didn't state similar experiences.

I just want my favorite master from Malifaux to be as engaging in this other great game!