Fixing the Dreamer

Iron Heel

Hello All,

I'm new to the game and am interested in playing the Dreamer (perhaps not as my first crew though). I was sorry to read about folks impressions that he's OP as I think that game balance usually = more fun.

So, I was wondering...what do you think would make him more on par with the other masters? Are there any small fixes that could even him out?

Also I said it in another thread.

New Players should not worry about playing the Dreamer. It takes a lot of practice to get to a level of play where others consider him OP. If you are just learning with him and having a good time then don't let anyone ruin that by crying about your model choices.

If and when you get to the point where you can never be beaten with him, then consider trying a new crew.

The only thing worse then a OP model is a community where no one is willing to play a model because of its OP status. If no one plays a model because its OP, then no one comes up with innovative ways to combat that model. Thus it stays an OP boogeyman, lurking in the shadows.

Not even going to touch this one :)

Best thing to do is take Nilus' advice. I disagree that it takes a lot of experience to get to the point where he will give similar skilled players trouble, but the true OPness does take a lot of game knowledge.

I would avoid playing him as an early master though. He doesnt do a lot of the things that make Malifaux fun. If you want to get into him later, play another neverborn master (Lilith is a good starter) as they all share mostly the same minions.

Hah! boogeyman in the shadows....

Sorry, had to point that out.

I'm currently going through a similier thing. I love love love love the dreamers models. But his status as god level turned me away from him for a long while. Luckily, all the people I play with are either, really really cool and laid back. Or the other group I can play with are all really cool, but super competitive. So seeing the Dreamer/Hamelin/etc on the table just makes them happy.

Also I said it in another thread.

New Players should not worry about playing the Dreamer. It takes a lot of practice to get to a level of play where others consider him OP. If you are just learning with him and having a good time then don't let anyone ruin that by crying about your model choices.

If and when you get to the point where you can never be beaten with him, then consider trying a new crew.

The only thing worse then a OP model is a community where no one is willing to play a model because of its OP status. If no one plays a model because its OP, then no one comes up with innovative ways to combat that model. Thus it stays an OP boogeyman, lurking in the shadows.

+1 to all this, Nilus is on the level.

Even then, he's considered top level because of a few specific abuses. I'm sure you'll become familiar with them over time, but I think it boils down to this: Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Ie, you don't have to play abussive with the Dreamer. His most basic mechanics are strong, but not abussive. It's what you can do with a few things put together that really make him one of the strongest masters. One of those stronger then the sum of his parts type of things ;)

Edited by karn987