Multiple Exhume per turn?

Csonti

Question

Mortimer's Exhume spell says it can be cast once per turn - period. Question is: can Molly (or her totem) cast this if she copies the spell from Mortimer but Mortimer already cast it in the same turn?

Obviously this is a very different wording than once per activation (Obey) or once per crew per turn (Ice Pillars). Word by word it would imply that only one model can cast this per turn (including both players!) but I can imagine that the intent is different.

Edited by Csonti

11 answers to this question

I've played it where it's once per activation, meaning once during Morty's activation, once during Molly's (if she has the spell), and once during the totem's... and once during Hamelin the Ratcatcher's turn if he Obeys one of them, etc.

But I would be interested to hear other thoughts. I'd never noticed the different wording.

Yes, ver different wording to others. Nothing stops you copying it with molly.

Maybe I was not clear enough: according to the wording you can not use it more than once in a turn. And I just wonder what the intent is regarding this. (I edited the OP to make it more clear.)

Molly of course can copy the spell (and even use it) but the description, as it stands now, prohibits multiple casting by different models.

Maybe I was not clear enough: according to the wording you can not use it more than once in a turn. And I just wonder what the intent is regarding this. (I edited the OP to make it more clear.)

Molly of course can copy the spell (and even use it) but the description, as it stands now, prohibits multiple casting by different models.

I understood you perfectly. Mortimer can only cast the spell once per turn, even if he gets reactivated.

However, the spell is on another model - ie Molly - and nothing stops you casting it again. It is not the same spell, it just has the same name.

Spells that say "once per crew per turn" are markedly different.

It's possible that that's not how this was intended in which case an RM may say otherwise, but as it reads right now, there is nothing in the rules as written which prohibits casting another version of the same spell. You're interpreting something that isn't there I think.

It's possible that that's not how this was intended in which case an RM may say otherwise, but as it reads right now, there is nothing in the rules as written which prohibits casting another version of the same spell. You're interpreting something that isn't there I think.

I can see your point (and even support that mechanism) but to me the conclusion is quite the opposite: there is nothing in the rules (as far as I know) that explains the different version of the same spell issue. And "once per turn" is just that: you can NOT cast it again in the same turn. No is stronger than yes and cards override normal rules. So yes, an RM confirmation would be helpful.

(This whole thing reminds me the Ronin issue. Most of the people argued that you can't sacrifice an enemy Ronin to make a new Victoria despite the fact that the description did not prohibit that. And then the RM's said: yes, you can sacrifice an enemy model.)

No. Obey is quite different (once per activation vs once per turn). But I already mentioned this in the original post. :)

And to be precise: Obey can be cast multiple times by a single model in a turn, you just need to Reactivate it.

Btw time to scatter some cookies around this thread. RM's are more likely to show up in that way...