Seishin Beacon

Taegmar

Hi all.

I've just bought my first ever Malifaux mini's and I'm eager to make a start with Kirai and her spirits. But I can't get my head round Seishin Beacon and the Seishin's Fragile Connection. I've read things over a number of times but still can see it.

Now bear in mind I know nothing much of Malifaux yet, but I can't understand why I would want to make use of this action. Is there something special that happens when a Seishin is Sacrificed? Or is it that there are other crews out there that get something out of sacrificed spirits and this is her way to scupper them?

Many thanks for any advice in advance.

I thought it was that Kirai gets a seishin when living, undead or spirit models are killed near her. But the seishin don't count as killed due to Fragile Connection, so you don't get a seishin back when one dies.

If you have Seishin Beacon, Fragile connection is ignored so they count as killed, meaning if one dies you get a new one to replace it.

Could be wrong though, not that experienced with her crew (or any crew for that matter!)

I'm still trying to get my head around it as well and the only thing that I can come up with is that it allows her to keep her damage shunts around.

Kiria puts up beacon when she thinks she is going to get attacked, gets hit, passes it to a Seishin, it sucks up the hit, it dies, Kiria takes 1 WD and gets the shield back.

Is that the only big use of that ability?

I initially thought that was the big use of beacon, since Kirai can bump the damage off onto the seishin, who then takes a really hard slap from someone who's good in melee, taking say 6 or 7 wounds, and then Kirai takes 1 wound and the seishin stays basically alive. Makes her much more durable than her fairly pants defence would imply...

And Fetid makes a very good point. I've only played a few games with her, and once the seishin start disappearing it gets harder and harder to stop the crew collapsing!

I've not used it often, as I've not needed to. One thing to watch out for when it is particularly useful is Blasts, as you could end up losing all your Seishin in one hit! It can work against you also, as some players will set it up to look like they are going for the attack and Kirai will spend the wound, only for the opponent to switch their target elsewhere.

yeah, I was more focused on the beacon ability.

I use the seishin to help power her other abilities but I didn't know if there was something I was missing about trying to keep them alive with the beacon that was pretty important to something other than the damage shield or keeping them alive for later use.