Interrupting simultaneous activations

Kadeton

Question

My query is somewhat grown out of this thread, regarding Companion activations and immediate activations.

My understanding of Companion activations is that they are simultaneous, i.e. happening at the same time. All the models in the Companion group activate together, then the player chooses which order to resolve those activations. This is important for models like the Guild Hounds - if one Hound moves away, the other still gains the benefits of activating within range of another Hound, because their activations started simultaneously but are resolved sequentially.

Towards the end of the linked thread, there was a discussion on when Lord Chompy Bits would activate if he was unburied by the Dreamer's death in the middle of the opponent's Companion chain. The dominant theory seemed to be that Chompy would activate, then the opponent's chain would finish.

My contention is that all the models in the Companion chain are already activated (simultaneously!) at the beginning of the chain, and that all their activations must therefore be resolved before Chompy can activate (since he cannot be activated during other models' activations).

I'd appreciate whatever thoughts and clarifications everyone has to offer.

7 answers to this question

Okay, so: reading page 31, it looks like immediate activations get a specific exception that allows them to jump the queue and interrupt the simultaneous activation chain.

That's fair enough... but can the model that's activating immediately launch its own Companion chain, and if so, when and how is it resolved? The exception only allows for models that are activated immediately due to an effect... Companion is neither an effect nor an immediate activation in that sense. This seems way more complicated than my initial impression. :/

Not so much. Companion itself can only kick in when the model activates, not later on in its activation. When you're checking who can be activated through Companion at the start of an activation that's the only point it can be used. After that everyone's activations have started (those you Companioned), even if they have yet to complete said activations.

Not so much. Companion itself can only kick in when the model activates, not later on in its activation. When you're checking who can be activated through Companion at the start of an activation that's the only point it can be used. After that everyone's activations have started (those you Companioned), even if they have yet to complete said activations.

Yep, I get that. I may not have been clear... I'll use a specific example.

A Perdita crew is fighting a Dreamer crew. It's the Perdita player's turn.

The player uses Companion to simultaneously activate Perdita, Nino and Santiago.

Nino's activation is resolved first, and he kills the Dreamer. Lord Chompy Bits is placed due to Release Nightmares, and since he has been brought into play, Chompy immediately activates due to One Master.

So the question is, who activates now? Do Perdita and Santiago activate, then Chompy? Or does Chompy's immediate activation come first, then Perdita and Santiago finish their Companion chain of simultaneous activations?

The follow-up question is, if Chompy goes before Perdita and Santiago, can he simultaneously activate a Daydream within 6" due to its Companion (Master)? Will the Daydream act before or after Perdita and Santiago?