Guild Guardian - Trying Out The Airbrush

Sholto

Here are the completed pics of my Guild Guardian. This was my first go at a model with my airbrush, and I used it to get the base colour, shading and highlights down, as well as the sword. The rest I did with the brush, including going over every rivet and join with Gyphonne Sepia.

Guild_Guardian_Complete_1.jpg

Guild_Guardian_Complete_2.jpg

I know the sword is too bashed and battered to be an ideal candidate for some NMM, but I really wanted to try it out, so I did :)

You will see some (very) subtle hints of green and red colour modulation. These are a bit more obvious on the model, as the camera(phone) does not pick them up so well, and I did these using glaze medium and pigments. On balance, I prefer the pigments, but the glaze medium has more control.

All comments and questions welcome :)

I got the airbrush to do vehicles and terrain, but was inspired to try painting miniatures with out by the Youtube channel Buypainted.com. Basically all I did was watch a few of his videos to get an idea of what to expect in terms of technique and results, and read some online advice about thinning your paint properly and using low psi.

I have about the cheapest airbrush/ compressor set it is possible to have, and I am delighted with it so far. Search for AS186 on Ebay. You can buy the compressor with two airbrushes included (each of which sells for £20) for £80. I also bought a stand, some Tamiya masking tape, some cleaning brushes, Vallejo airbrush thinner and Vallejo airbrush cleaner.

Next I would like to try applying glazes with the airbrush, and experimenting more with varnishes between coats to see how an eg. gloss coat would affect a wash.

Edited by Sholto

Can you point me to a tutorial for the NMM. I keep trying this and never looks right.
I couldn't do that blending with a paintbrush, although there are painters who can. Did you meant a tutorial for doing it with an airbrush? In that case, go [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7me7OB3XP0]here[/ame].

If you meant a tutorial for doing it with a brush, go [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvQti_Igz5s]here[/ame].