Poor Ponto

Q'iq'el

picture.php?albumid=87&pictureid=1291

So, I've put this guy together two weeks ago and from the start it was obvious it is a very fragile miniature. I've tried to make it more robust by putting hind legs and front legs so that they can be glued to the base (and pined), which should make them hold...

The hands however, are all another matter. The left hand is positioned so that getting any support for it is nearly impossible. I may have to place a lantern or something like that on the base, just so that that hand has something to rest on.

The right hand passes close enough to the right front leg to be glued near the joint, providing a second fitting point... which I promptly did.

Today I picked the guy up to surface him, and the right hand immediately snapped off. I had to pin it and glue it back in (horrendously difficult given the width of the arm) and I'm still scarred the model will start breaking all over the place once I start using it for actual games.

How do other players put their Necrotic Machine together? Is there any way to fix these arms better? Prevent bending and breaking? I'd hate to have to put a wall on his base just so that he has something to rest his hands on (especially that they are quite apart and the wall would have to be quite a bit wider than the base itself).

I'd be very grateful for any ideas.

Edited by Q'iq'el

I didn't have any problems with the models you mention, but NM's arms are almost twice as long as Punks' swords and actually more fragile, if it's possible - joints look as if they were perfect breaking points.

I was actually afraid to bend them and in their original form they stick out away from the body.

I guess I'll have to put some form if support on the base itself. :(

My only thought so far would be to beef up the joints with plasticard rings or tubes to give them a little extra strength.

Hmm, that sounds quite like an idea. I could actually make a secondary skeleton of a thin wire and hide it underneath the arm. It won't look very nice from the side, but if done right it wouldn't be visible from normal angles... perhaps even look like a part of the machine. The challenge will be not to break the arms while attaching the supporting wires though (should've thought about it before assembling the mini). :(

Didn't sign up to be a clockmaker though. :D

The sad thing is the arm that broke off was the one I've attached at 2 points. Now I think I might have weakened it by bending it to shape, but the other arm won't get any stronger or more resistant to bending from being left as is. >.<

May end up putting Necrotic Machine on the shelf and playing with some sturdier proxy.