Thinking about McMourning...

edonil

Way I like to do it uses the dead rider, 1 dog and chihuahua. Requires a 5+ of masks in your hand, there's a better version if you get 2 5+ masks.

Edit: Ok, had it pointed out that this order of actions wouldn't work, read my next post two posts down for a modified version that involves less cheating haha. Everything listed for turn 2 still stands though.

Single 5+ masks

Dead Rider advances 6" ahead of Doug

Chihuahua wracked with pain on Doug (1 bp)

Doug casts wracked on canine, triggers scalpel magic (2 bp)

Doug uses scalpel magic free melee strike to kill canine, healing the damage suffered from the chihuahua's wracked (5 bp)

Doug casts wracked on chihuahua (6 bp)

Spend 1 bp to get fast (5 bp)

Doug melee's chihuahua, killing it (8 bp)

Doug scalpel slings to dead rider, who can heal next activation (9 bp)

Next turn use dead rider to mounted combat push Doug to where you need him to drop a Rogue Necromancy on someone's head plus an extra bp to give him fast.

2 5+ Masks

Doug casts wracked on canine, triggers scalpel magic (2 bp)

Doug uses scalpel magic free melee strike to kill canine, healing the damage suffered from the chihuahua's wracked (5 bp)

Doug casts wracked on chihuahua, triggers scalpel magic (6 bp)

Doug uses scalpel magic free melee strike to kill chihuahua (9 bp)

Doug scalpel slings to Dead Rider (10bp)

You then have the option to spend a bp to give Doug fast and move him to where you want him, freeing up the dead rider for the next turn.

So as you can see, the second method is more efficient, but since I really like the Dead Rider McMourning delivery service either one is a great way to bp factory on the first turn without compromising future positioning.

Edit: Should mention that if my second mask is around a 10+ I will use the single 5+ mask method and save the mask for turn 2 to trigger Scalpel Magic on Rancid Transplant on whatever I'm trying to destroy.

Actually, just in case you get no masks:

Doug casts wracked on canine (2 bp)

Doug melee's canine (5 bp)

Spend 1 bp to get fast (4 bp)

Doug casts wracked on chihuahua (5 bp)

Doug scalpel slings to dead rider, who can heal next activation (6 bp)

Next turn just get the Chihuahua to use (1) Backup Materials to get the last 2 bp you need to summon the Rogue, and the small advantage of this method is that you get the extra activation from the Chihuahua on turn 2 to delay the Dead Rider McMourning delivery service even later into the opponents turn. Downside is you don't have the spare bp for fast.

On Turn 2 try to make sure the Dead Rider has fast, drag Doug up the field then use its fast action to either:

a) get in the face of something that could potentially counter charge / blow up Doug;

B) move up closer to where Doug will end up.

When dragging Doug up field it should be really easy to place him in the perfect position for a charge on your intended target. So, charge your target, spend a bp to get fast then either hit it again or cast Rancid Transplant if you have the mask to trigger Scalpel Magic. If your target is dead you can drop the Rogue Necromancy on another unit's head, or use it to block LoS to Doug. If your target is still alive you can bring in the RN to finish it off.

Having Doug 17" up the field and a Rogue Necromancy up to 23" up the field by end of turn two with a Dead Rider in support usually allows your cheaper units plenty of breathing space to sort out objectives. Also a very good screen for Von Schill to advance behind ;)

Hope all that helped! Sorry it turned into a bit of an essay haha

Edited by Toonook

Hmmm. Yes. Slight oversight on my behalf that almost nullifies that entire essay pretty much. Will modify that post haha. Can't believe I've stuffed that up haha.

Ok, edit: Balls to modifying that post. Leave it as a testament as to why you should always reread your cards many times to know your skills inside out to avoid inadvertent cheating lol. Just go for the single 5+ mask technique:

Chihuahua wracked with pain on Canine (1 bp)

Doug melee's canine, killing it (4 bp)

Doug casts wracked on Chihuahua, triggering scalpel magic (5 bp)

Doug uses free melee attack to kill Chihuahua (8 bp)

Scalpel Sling to Dead Rider (9 bp)

Even if you for whatever reason don't get to the 8 bp (Guild using Lucius / Austringer bull**** for example) you can still quite easily have the bp needed to summon at the end of turn 2 just from meleeing whoever the dead rider carries you to. I still like the keep the dead rider option there since it can really mess with your opponents head knowing Doug can be carried somewhere, and it helps protect against an enemy Bete Noir summoning off the back of you killing your Canine/Chihuahua.

P.S. Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Edited by Toonook

• 2 weeks later...
i'd say it would immediately end. As it specifically says that in the spell.

I would have to agree. It's all in the wording. If it says it ends, it does just that. If it said something along the lines of: "Resolve any effects and triggers, then end this model's activation." I think you could get away with it, but that's not the case.

You Scalpel Sling to move McM 7" up the field.

Uhmm, how are you getting 7" when Slingin' says a Rg 6?

Base to base can be anywhere on the base so you can use the enemy model to get an "extra" inch by clever placement.

Oh, so you can essentially move him in front of the base even if targeting the front of his base is out of range because the back covers the targeting requirement?

(Probably a dumb question...)