Yet another Hunter question

shakedown47

Question

I did a quick search on this, but being at work I don't have too much time to comb through other threads. My question is, Hunter allows a model to see "within and across 6" of obscuring terrain" (I may not have the wording exactly right...again, at work.) My question is regarding the "across" part of the phrase.

The rulebook states that a model can see 3" into or out of obscuring terrain, but cannot draw LOS completely across a piece of obscuring terrain. So my question is, when Hunter says that someone like Samael can draw LOS "...across 6"..." does that mean he can draw LOS completely through a piece of obscuring terrain, as long as at least one of those sight lines passes through 6" or less of the terrain? Thanks.

12 answers to this question

I did a quick search on this, but being at work I don't have too much time to comb through other threads. My question is, Hunter allows a model to see "within and across 6" of obscuring terrain" (I may not have the wording exactly right...again, at work.) My question is regarding the "across" part of the phrase.

The rulebook states that a model can see 3" into or out of obscuring terrain, but cannot draw LOS completely across a piece of obscuring terrain. So my question is, when Hunter says that someone like Samael can draw LOS "...across 6"..." does that mean he can draw LOS completely through a piece of obscuring terrain, as long as at least one of those sight lines passes through 6" or less of the terrain? Thanks.

No.

Hunter just increases the range of LoS into and out of terrain from 3" to 6" and it allows the model with Hunter to ignore Cover.

As Adran said, austringers dont need line of sight - thats different from being able to see through :D

it means that Hans is actually really good at taking out things that might normally be hidden by talents such as Creepy Fog, Whiteout, or The Fog. Not only can he see through it (because they count as obscuring), he can also ignore it completely (due to one of his other abilities).

I think it's just a confusion in the wording.

If you don't need LoS, then nothing that effects LoS or effects caused by LoS matter. So obscuring terrain blocks LoS and provides cover.

What they are saying above is that there is a different between ignoring obscuring terrain and not needing LoS. There are different game factors that might effect these differently, and so they wanted to note that difference.

Several abilities affect LOS, but they do not ignore LOS.

Hans has Goggles, which ignores any enemy spell affecting LOS.

He also has the more common ability Sniper, which ignores cover, obscuring terrain and intervening models when targetting ranged attacks.

So with Sniper, Hans can shoot through any distance of obscuring terrain, and can ignore things like Creepy Fog.

Hunter, is more common than Sniper, and ignores cover penalties and increases LOS into and within obscuring terrain from 3" (the norm) to 6". They do not change the rule that models can only draw LOS across a base of obscuring terrain up to 3". By the letter of the rules, even Hunter does not change this (it says into or within not across) but I think most players would allow a model with Hunter to draw LOS across obscuring terrain up to 6".

None of these abilities allow models to ignore LOS. They cannot target a model that is behind blocking terrain.

The Austringers weapon Bayou Raptor ignores cover modifiers and LOS.

Edited by Serigala
added Bayou Raptor info

For example if a model has line of sight to a cerberus, it can't use its Stalker ability. Models like Lileth will still draw line of sight through the terrain, where as the austringer won't. (For what its worth, Hans won't be able to see the cat in the closing phase to stop it either, as Sniper is only for targeting ranged attacks)

Hunter still doesn't let you see through obscuring terrain, so even a 1" piece of obscuring terrain will block line of sight for hunters.

Thats what Sniper does